Andy ZollingerSenior Attorney
Andy Zollinger focuses his practice on real estate, finance, and corporate restructuring. His practice includes the representation of owners, investors, lenders, landlords, and tenants in the acquisition, disposition, financing and leasing of office space, multifamily, senior and student housing, retail property, energy projects, and other assets. Andy negotiates and drafts transaction and loan documents, performs legal due diligence, and advises clients with respect to the acquisition and financing of real property and related projects and assets.
His practice also includes advising corporate clients in the restructuring and bankruptcy process. He has assisted a variety of clients in complex business reorganizations and insolvency matters. He has experience in adversary proceedings, debtor-in-possession financing, and 363 auctions and sales.
Finance and Real Estate
- Assisted solar farm developers with the acquisition and financing of fee and leasehold interests in connection with solar and power storage facilities.
- Advised pension fund manager in acquisition of commercial property portfolio, and related loan assumptions and financing.
- Represented a borrower/operator in US$500 million refinancing of a hotel and casino property.
- Assisted an investment group in refinancing of a US$1 billion multifamily portfolio with Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae financing.
- Represented an investment group in connection with its acquisition at a foreclosure auction of a multi-million-dollar commercial high-rise building from bankrupt TIC owners.
- Assisted the country's largest real estate management firm in its acquisition, disposition and financing of multifamily residential properties and developments in the U.S. and U.K., and advised on related corporate governance issues.
- Advised a multifamily investor in its acquisition of a US$1.5 billion, 24-property portfolio.
- Assisted a hospitality investment fund in a US$3.5 billion refinancing of a nationwide hotel portfolio.
- Advised a multifamily developer in the acquisition, financing, and development of ground-up multifamily projects across the United States.
- Represented an industrial cable manufacturing company in its acquisition and financing of its first U.S. manufacturing plant.
- Assisted a TIC management company in its disposition of several multifamily properties throughout the United States.
- Advised a self-storage company in the disposition of nationwide portfolio of storage facilities and related defeasance of existing financing.
- Assisted tenants and landlords in drafting and negotiating leases for commercial office spaces.
- Represented lender-appointed manager in disposition of nationwide distressed hotel portfolio.
- Representation of a publicly held company that develops, manufactures and sells innovative medical devices for the treatment of aortic disorders, in connection with the restructuring of over US$250 million pursuant to a pre-negotiated plan of reorganization that was confirmed in 78 days in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Representation of insolvent commercial carriers in their auction and sale of various truck terminals and related assets.
- Representation of a senior living company in contested restructuring and disposition of network of 41 skilled nursing facilities in chapter 11 proceedings.
- Advised a DIP lender in declaratory judgment action to recover debtor property and DIP collateral pursuant to section 544 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Advised a national broadcast network in an involuntary chapter 11 filing against an affiliated local sports broadcast network.
- Represented the then largest nonprofit senior living provider in Texas in chapter 11 proceedings and the resulting chapter 11 plan. Representation included the disposition of 11 senior living facilities by way of 363 sales.
- Advised a private equity group in its purchase of a distressed multi-million-dollar credit facility and related article 9 foreclosure.
- Represented a lender in debt collection litigation against a borrower/bank, including state court litigation and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advised a private equity group in its purchase of a distressed loan to a hotel developer and resulting surrender of collateral by way of a deed-in-lieu transaction.
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law
Articles Editor, Southern Methodist University Law Review
- B.A., International Studies, Latin American Studies minor, Brigham Young University 2002
Before joining DLA Piper, Andy worked as a law clerk for an NYSE-listed parent company to a US$16 billion bank, where he dealt primarily with outsourcing activities and regulatory and compliance issues.