DLA Piper’s Canadian Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) group is both proactive and responsive.
We provide practical advise to clients across all industries, whether provincially or federally regulated, to assist them in:
- satisfying OHS compliance obligations across Canada;
- enhancing OHS due diligence efforts;
- navigating board and tribunal processes and hearings;
- reducing liability to their businesses; and
- protecting workers from harm.
We consult with safety professionals, compliance officers, emergency preparedness staff, health and safety committee members, and human resources and senior management to develop and review accident prevention programs and practical strategies to mitigate risk.
We are familiar with federal and provincial legislation and regulations, and the respective government agencies, Tribunals, administrative bodies, and courts responsible for oversight and enforcement of OHS compliance.
Where a workplace incident occurs, we are responsive. We work with our clients to investigate, assess, and mitigate the incident, possible consequences, and future OHS risk. We assist clients with all phases arising from an incident, including investigation and reporting requirements, mitigation and improved safety recommendations, workers’ compensation claims management, search warrants, and defence of OHS prosecutions.
- Coordinating incident response following workplace fatalities and critical injuries in the construction, manufacturing, entertainment, and natural resources industries
- Defending OHS prosecutions in the construction, manufacturing, transportation, entertainment, and natural resources industries
- Appealing OHS compliance orders and assessable penalties
- Representing employers in workers’ compensation proceedings, including appeals, transfer of cost applications, right to sue applications, rate group appeals, early and safe return to work/gradual return to work programs, and requests for cost relief
- Conducting workplace violence and workplace harassment investigations in the transportation, manufacturing, retail, and services industries
- Developing communicable disease prevention plans and policy, including communicable disease prevention in the workplace, mandatory vaccination, and mandatory communicable disease testing policies
- Advising on development, implementation and internal enforcement of Health and Safety Policies
- Delivering OHS training to workers in the financial services, retail, and entertainment industries
- Drafting and reviewing commercial agreements regarding constructor/prime contractor obligations in the construction and infrastructure industries