Industrial property rights are a key and valuable asset for any company – whether it involves protecting your trademarks, designs, patents and other innovations, or else exploiting and enforcing your intellectual property (IP). Amid globalized competition, it’s important in every sector to defend your competitive advantage in your key markets, both at home and abroad.
The same is true when it comes to carrying out complex IT and outsourcing projects and optimizing your IT contract and licence management so as to avoid significant liability risks and competitive disadvantages. The ever-growing complexity of legal parameters makes it especially challenging to optimally develop, maintain and use intangible assets and to institute corporate processes on a secure legal foundation, while at the same time preserving economic efficiency. This is why you should turn to experienced experts in the field of IP, and technology and sourcing, whose practical advisory services are adapted to the local market while still paying attention to the global context.
DLA Piper’s German Intellectual Property & Technology (IPT) team is an integral part of our international IPT network, and with more than 560 lawyers it is one of our firm’s biggest practice groups. This practice group also includes our experts on distribution law, because the IPT and commercial areas are closely connected in the practice of business law. Of course, a key role in any company’s operations is played by commercial and distribution law and the associated drafting of contracts. Our experts offer comprehensive advisory services in this area in a variety of industries and sectors, in both a national and international context – including CISG and Incoterms. You can benefit from our experience when it comes to optimizing your business objectives and harmonizing them with legal parameters at home and abroad.
Local and international integration – that’s the basis of our IPT’s advisory successes. You will find contacts in our German offices in Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne and Munich who not only have experience in their specific advisory field but also possess deeper knowledge of your sector – be it life science and health care, retail and consumer products, fashion and design, technology and IT infrastructure, automotive, industrials or sports, media and entertainment, to name only a few examples. Because of the breadth of our advisory practice, you can be assured of having the support of the right specialized adviser for your individual needs.
Our integrated team extensively advises national and international clients in all areas of industrial property rights, information technology and telecommunications law, data and confidentiality protection, and commercial and distribution law:
- We can advise you in registering rights to protect your ideas and concepts. We can work with you or our outside patent lawyers in registering technical inventions to ensure that you have access to the right technical expert for your innovations.
- When it comes to exploiting and enforcing your protected rights, our local focus means that we have extensive experience of the particular requirements of the relevant courts and (customs and registration) authorities. Because of our close international links with colleagues in other jurisdictions, cross-border litigation (and the strategic orientation of international proceedings in particular) is one of our specialities.
- As experienced specialists, we can structure and manage complex technology-related transactions and (out)sourcing projects (project-specific advisory services) and optimize your IT contract and licence management (ongoing advisory services). We can also advise and represent you, both in technology-related legal disputes and in local and cross-border business transactions.
- We provide advice on all legal aspects of dealing with business data. Besides advising on measures to protect general business data from espionage, the focus of our practice is on advising about personal data – from ensuring group-wide exchange (of, inter alia, employee data), through collecting and using customer data on the Internet in compliance with data protection regulations, to specific issues with respect to safeguarding medical data as well as banking and telecommunications secrecy. In these areas, we provide advisory services in both national and cross-border projects.
- With our expertise, we can support you in creating and configuring the legal aspects of national and international distribution systems. Take advantage of our experience in developing, negotiating and executing your commercial contracts in all areas of operations. We will also help you to resolve conflicts and settle disputes, in or out of court.
If further aspects in other areas of law play a role, we will involve our specialized (German or foreign) colleagues so as to ensure optimal advisory services tailored to you and your company.
We advise clients in the following areas:
- Information technology and telecommunications
- Industrial property rights and intellectual property
- Patent and utility model law
- Design law (formerly known as registered designs)
- Copyright law
- Sports law
- Media and film law
- Personal rights law and press law
- Data protection and security
- Commercial and distribution law (including franchise law)
- Ongoing advising and representation of a leading global electronics group in trademark disputes and disputes concerned with competition law
- Represented a leading global manufacturer of LEDs in international patent infringement proceedings against a manufacturer of television sets; coordinated the actions in a total of six jurisdictions
- Represented a major manufacturer of injection pumps in cross-border patent infringement proceedings in Germany, the UK and France
- Advised a leading German television company concerning the sale and licensing of national and international film and sports broadcasting rights, including broadcasting rights for the German National Soccer League
- Advised a DAX group of companies on various secondary outsourcing projects, including competitive bidding on acquiring operation of the group-wide communications infrastructure
- Advised a European telecommunications supplier on renegotiation of an outsourcing agreement on overall network operations (mobile and landline)
- Advised an energy supply company on the acquisition of its entire IT operations by a third-party service provider from an IT service provider within the group
- Advised a leading global U.S. pharmaceuticals company on a cross-border project relating to introducing and outsourcing an electronic personnel records system in eight European jurisdictions; drafted and negotiated data processing and transmission agreements
- Ongoing advising of a global market leader in the field of electronic entertainment on a Europe-wide distribution system, Internet distribution, revisions of the standard contract portfolio and regulatory issues
- Ongoing advising of an international supplier of telecommunications solutions in the area of commercial and distribution law, especially with respect to cooperation and contract manufacturing agreements
- JUVE nomination (IPT Firm of the Year)
- Regular rankings in JUVE, The Legal 500, Chambers & Partners, Best Lawyers