Bethany ApplebyOf Counsel
Bethany has over 20 years of experience of helping franchisors and other businesses solve legal problems and achieve their goals. She handles a wide range of commercial transactional matters and resolves business and other disputes efficiently and effectively through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation.
Bethany is on the American Arbitration Panel of Commercial Arbitrators and has a particular depth of experience representing clients in arbitration and court proceedings relating to parties' obligations to arbitrate.
In addition to litigation and arbitration skills, Bethany understands the in-house perspective and provides a broad range of legal and business advice from her experience serving as Chief Legal Officer (General Counsel role) for the largest global quick serve restaurant brand in number of units.
Bethany's practice focuses on all aspects of franchise law and regulation, and she has represented franchisors in many industries, including restaurant and food service, hotels and hospitality, and real estate brokerage companies. She is a past member of the Governing Committee of the American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Franchising, a past Editor-in-Chief of the ABA Franchise Law Journal, and a member of the Franchise Times Legal Eagles Hall of Fame.
- J.D., Doctor of Law, University of Connecticut School of Law
Notes and Comments Editor, The Connecticut Law Review
- B.A., Yale University
magna cum laude
Served as General Manager and Training Director of WYBC, Yale's college-commercial radio station
Attended Universität Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany (Junior Term Abroad)
- Author, U.S. Franchisors Embracing Operational and Other Innovations During the COVID-19 Pandemic – An Unexpected and Perhaps Enduring Benefit?, TaylorWessing's Newsletter Franchise and Distribution, No. 24 (January 2021)
- Co author with Gary R. Batenhorst, Both Sides Now: Making the Transition from Outside to In-house Counsel, 40 Franchise L.J. 149 (Summer 2020)
- Co author with W. Michael Garner, and Karen Boring Satterlee, Editors, Franchise Desk Book, Selected State Laws, Commentary, Annotations (3d. Ed, 2019) (multi-volume treatise)
- Co author, Chapter 8: Default and Termination, The Annotated Franchise Agreement (2018)
- Co-presenting with Abhishek Dube, W-14: Complying with New Prohibitions of Questionnaires and Acknowledgment, ABA 46th Annual Forum on Franchising: Franchising is Bigger in Texas (Dallas, TX 2023)
- Co-presenting with Tomasz Cyrol, Arthur L. Pressman, Olivia Gast, Julien Rivet and, Martine De Koning, Mediation Skills for Building and Keeping Franchise Relations, International Bar Association (November 2022)
- Co-presenting with Andrew Bleiman, I Want It My Way: Brand Standards Disputes in Franchise Systems, ABA 45th Forum on Franchising (San Diego, CA 2022)
- Co-presenting with Brian Balconi, and Kathleen Panek, Best Practices and Tips in Law Department Administration, IFA 54th Annual Legal Symposium (Washington, D.C., 2022)
- Co-presenting with Gaylen Knack, Structuring and Negotiating Essential Vendor Agreements and Dealing With Financial Terms, Discounts, and Rebates, ABA 44th Forum on Franchising (Atlanta, GA 2021)
- Host, Roundtable Discussion, System Stumbling Blocks – Lessons from Litigation, at the International Franchise Association Virtual Legal Symposium (May 2021)
- Presenter, Topic: Crisis Management in the "Fake News" Era, International Franchise Association Franchise Law Virtual Summit, (August 2020)
- Co-presenting with Kerry R. J. Olson, Sarah A. Walters, Shelley Weatherbie, The Law Department of the Future: Innovation and a New Business Model for In-house Counsel, ABA 41st Forum on Franchising, Intensive Session (Nashville, TN 2018)
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Arbitration Association Panel of Commercial Arbitrators and Panel of Consumer Arbitrators
- American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Franchising:
- Co-chaired ABA Forum Annual Meeting in Denver (2019), which came in under budget and with the all-time attendance record of almost 1,000 attendees, and served on the Annual Planning Committee in 2018 (Nashville) and 2020 (Virtual)
- Governing Committee Member (2017 – Present)
- Editor-in-Chief, Franchise Law Journal (2013 – 2016)
- Women's Caucus Officer (2017 – 2020)
- Diversity Caucus Officer (2020- Present)