Peter G. ArmstrongPartner
Peter is a Corporate Partner based in our Tokyo office.
Peter advises both Japanese and multinational entities on a wide range of complex cross-border transactions and projects. He has extensive experience on mergers and acquisitions, PE/VC investments, joint ventures, reorganizations, foreign investment, and other corporate matters. His knowledge and experience spans across a broad range of sectors, including energy, defence, technology and consumer products.
Peter is widely recognized for his work, supporting clients on energy transition transactions and projects, including renewable energy project related investment, sale and development, supply chain sustainability, carbon capture and credits, and alternative energy development.
Clients praise his responsiveness and ability to balance their needs with astute commercial considerations.
He is regularly requested to present seminars on Japanese Canadian business matters.
- Advising Pattern Energy Group LP on financing of Japan’s largest wind and solar energy investment fund.*
- Advising Octopus Energy Group Limited on its joint venture with Tokyo Gas., Ltd.*
- Advising Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development on its acquisition of Cad Railway Industries, Ltd.*
- Advising Hokkaido Electric Power Co., Inc. on its acquisition of stake in Alten RE Developments America B.V.*
- Advising a syndicate of lenders on the project financing for the 112 MW Ishikari Offshore Wind Project, a large-scale combined offshore wind and power storage project off Ishikari Bay in Hokkaido, Japan. It’s Japan’s largest combined offshore wind and power storage facility, setting a key milestone in the country’s energy transition.*
- Advising MUFG Bank, Ltd. on its acquisition of HC Consumer Finance Philippines, Inc. and PT Home Credit Indonesia.*
- Advising a major Asian real estate investment company on its acquisition of the ski resort and hotel business of Kiroro Resort Holdings Co., Ltd.*
- Advising CoorsTek, Inc., a US-based maker of engineered ceramics, on its carve out and sale of a specific business line of its subsidiary CoorsTek KK to MOMQ Holding Co., a US-based investment holding company owned by Wonik QnC Corporation.*
* Denotes experience from a previous firm
Osgoode Hall Law School, J.D., 2007
Columbia University, B.A., 2002
- Introduction to Aboriginal Law in Canada, 11 October, 2023
- How Canada's voluntary carbon credit market can help Japan to achieve carbon neutrality, 4 October 2023
- Japan Update: Battery storage development projects, 19 April 2023
- Carbon Capture and Storage in Canada, August 2022
- Hydrogen Update and Outlook Japan 2022, February 2022
- "Enhanced governmental oversight of foreign investments in rare earths”, October 2021
- “Japan selects first round of recipients for green innovation fund”, September 2021
- “Changes to decommissioning reserve requirements for solar power projects”, August 2021
- “Biomass power generation: supply and sustainability”, April 2021
- Speaker: DLA Piper Host, “More than fun and games: Successfully investing in Canada's thriving creative industry”, 30 October 2023
- Moderator of Panel “Prospects for the Development of Floating Offshore Wind” in the 8th Japan Wind Energy 2024, 18 October 2023
- Panelist: DLA Piper Host, “Critical minerals – Queensland, the role of the US and opportunities for Japan”, 29 August 2023
- Moderator of Panel “New Opportunities for Hydrogen Import and Export” in Connecting Green Hydrogen Japan 2022, 12 October 2022
- Moderator of Conference by the Canadian Chamber in Japan “Mitsubishi Corporation – Activity in Canada hosted”, 26 May 2022
- Panelist: "Canada – Japan Energy Security Forum 2021" sponsored by the Embassy of Canada, Tokyo, 16 December 2021
- Registered foreign lawyer in Japan
- Law Society of Ontario, Canada
- The Dai-Ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Governor, Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Japan (2023 - present)
My latest insights
Powering the future of electric vehicles: The global charging imperative
23 November 2023 .2 minute read
More than fun and games: Successfully investing in Canada's thriving creative industry
31 October 2023 .4 minute read