Mário Silveiro de Barros Ph.DOf Counsel
Mário Barros has over twenty years of legal advisory experience, with an extensive practice in labour and employment law, as well as social security law. Mário also has a substantial background in employment litigation.
He regularly advises national and multinational companies in a range of sectors including retail, financial services, insurance, medical services, entertainment, hospitality, and leisure.
Mário is also a Law Professor of Social Security Law and Labour Procedure Law at the University.
- Advising on a day-to-day basis, on labour and employment issues, several large national companies, as well as multinational companies with a presence in Portugal, covering a wide range of sectors.
- Advising several companies on transfer of undertakings and transfer of employees.
- Advising several companies on labour restructuring proceedings.
- Representing several companies in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements.
- Advising several national and multinational companies in collective redundancies and other dismissal procedures.
- Representing several national and multinational companies on labour litigation and court cases.
- A Coruña University, Law School, PhD, cum laude, 2016
- ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon, Master of Science (MSc) in Enterprise Law, specialization in Company Law, 2013
- Lisbon University, Law School, Post-Graduate in Labour and Employment Law, 2000
- Principal awards granted by the AESSS – Spanish Association of Health and Social Security for the communications presented in International Congress of 2019 and 2021.
- "The Retirement Pension of Directors paid by the Pension Fund - A Critical Analysis of the Case Law of the Supreme Court of Justice from the Perspective of Social Security Law" in AAVV: Study in Homage (Liber amicorum) to Prof. Doctor Manuel Pita, Almedina (Coimbra, 2022)
- "Technological changes and fundamental labour rights in Portugal" in AAVV: Innovación tecnológica, cambio social y sistema de relaciones laborales - Nuevos paradigmas para comprender el derecho del trabajo del siglo XXI, Editorial Comares (Granada, 2021)
- "Procedural aspects of the protection of non-contributory social security beneficiaries in Portugal" in AAVV: Seguridad Social para todas las personas - La protección de la Seguridad Social a las personas en situación de vulnerabilidad económica y fomento de su inclusión social, Ediciones Laborum (Murcia, 2021)
- "The protection against occupational risks for long term carers of dependents, in Portugal ", in AAVV: Accidentes de trabajo y enfermedades profesionales - Experiencias y desafíos de una protección social centenaria, Ediciones laborum (Murcia, 2020)
- "The impact of Covid-19 on Portuguese Social Security Law", in Revista de Direito do Trabalho e de Seguridade Social Brasileira, No. 213 (2020), and in E-Revista Internacional de la Protección Social, Vol. V, No. 1, 2020
- “The compatibility between the retirement pension and the pensioner's work in Portugal”, in AAVV: Por una pensión de jubilación, adecuada, segura y sostenible, Ediciones Laborum (Murcia, 2019)
- “The complementary Social Security in Portugal”, in Revista de Derecho de la Seguridad Social, N.º 19, 2º Trimestre de 2019, Ediciones Laborum
- Speaker at the Summer Course of the León University, Law School of “Advanced Course on Just Transitions: Decent Work as a Driver for Change”, June 2021
- Speaker at the 5th International Congress and 18th Spanish Congress of the AESSS (Spanish Association of Health and Social Security), presenting “Procedural aspects of protection of non-contributory social security beneficiaries in Portugal”, Madrid, October 2021
- Speaker at the IV International Congress and XVII Spanish Congress of the AESSS (Spanish Association of Health and Social Security), presenting the topic “The protection against occupational risks for long term carers of dependents, in Portugal», Madrid, October 2020
- Speaker at the XIV International Congress on Comparative Labour Law, at the Faculty of Law of the University of A Coruña, presenting the topic "The impact of the digital economy on Portuguese Social Security Law", A Coruña, Spain, December 2019
- Speaker at the III International Congress and XVI National Congress of the AESSS - Asociación Española de Salud y Seguridad Social, with the theme "The compatibility between the retirement pension and the pensioner's work in Portugal", Madrid, Spain, October 2019
- Speaker at the II Hispano-Portuguese Seminar on Social Security Law, at the Faculty of Law of the University of A Coruña, presenting the topic "Forgotten themes of Social Security in the programmes of the main Portuguese political parties", A Coruña, Spain, September 2019
- 2022 - present, Of Counsel at DLA Piper ABBC.
- 2001 - 22, Founding Partner, Law firm based in Lisbon.
- 2011 - 16, Teacher, Bar Association’s training center.
- 2003 - 04, External Adviser for the Ministry of Culture.
- 1997 - 98, Lecturer, Lisbon University Law School.
- Law Professor of Social Security Law and Labour Procedure Law at the ISCTE – University Institute of Lisbon.
- Law Professor at ERLAC – University School of Human Resources of A Coruña.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association, 1998
- EELA (European Employment Lawyers Association).
- APODIT (Portuguese Association of Labour Law).
- AESSS (Spanish Association of Health and Social Security).