Christian Benedictsen-Nislev MBA, LLBPartner
Christian is an experienced shipping and transport lawyer.
Christian advises Danish and international companies on all aspects of shipping, transport and international trade. His areas of expertise include shipbuilding contracts, the purchase and sale of ships and goods as well as financing, commercial contracts and corporate transactions.
As a qualified English solicitor, Christian has extensive knowledge of English law and the common law system, and he advises on legal matters in both civil law and common law jurisdictions.
Christian is a highly experienced litigator, defending clients' interests before the courts and in arbitration proceedings, e.g. in relation to disputes concerning shipping, transport law, insurance and listed companies' duty to disclose information. Among his clients are shipping companies and other transport companies, transport customers, public authorities, insurance companies and international funds specialising in the financing of dispute resolution.
Christian has completed an Executive MBA in International Shipping and Logistics. This has added a deep commercial understanding and strategic insight to the legal services provided by him.
- Acting for a major Danish shipping company in the restructuring of the company, including the re-registration of ships and companies in a large number of jurisdictions.
- Acting for a Danish shipping company in the conclusion of shipbuilding contracts for a fleet of ships and the associated long-term back-to-back charter parties with the client's customer.
- Acting for a global fund specialised in the financing of dispute resolution in a number of major Danish lawsuits.
- Acting for a major Danish insurance company in an arbitration case concerning a recourse claim in relation to the capsizing of a ship in dry dock and the resulting total loss.
- Advising a major Danish retail company on logistics agreements in several jurisdictions.
- Acting for a Danish shipping company in its acquisition of a shipping company in a Baltic country.
- Copenhagen Business School, Executive MBA in Shipping and Logistics, 2013-2015
- The College of Law in London, Graduate Diploma in Law Legal Professional Course, 2005
- University of Oslo, Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, Graduate Program in International Maritime Law, 2005
Copenhagen University, Candidate of Law, 1998-2005
University of Sydney, Study Abroad Program, International Trade Law, 2002
- Getting The Deal Through: Ports & Terminals – Denmark
- Getting The Deal Through: Shipping
- Danish Maritime Days
- North Sea Operators’ Claims Conference
- 2016-2019: lawyer and partner at a major Danish law firm
- 2011-2016: lawyer at a major Danish law firm
- 2007-2010: solicitor and trainee solicitor at an international shipping law firm in London
- 2009: stationed with A.P. Moller-Maersk A/S in Copenhagen
Memberships And Affiliations
- Committee Maritime International
- Law Society of England and Wales