Pierre E. BergerHe/himPartner
Pierre Berger is a corporate, financial services and insurance partner in the Firm’s Belgian offices with over 20 years' experience advising multinationals on all aspects of corporate, banking, funds, financial services and insurance law. Complex regulatory issues, regulatory driven strategic projects, global scaling of businesses and products, fund structuring, transactions & restructurings, regulatory enforcement, financial services and insurance litigation, as well as Brexit and FinTech related assignments are his core area of practice.
Pierre is the trusted advisor of international banking and insurance groups, as well as global FinTech players and technology companies entering the financial services space. He has a particular interest in the digitization of the financial services space, as well as the crypto and blockchain industry. Pierre heads the Firms Belgium financial services & insurance sector group. He is also heading the Firm’s global financial services (general) client group and is co-leading the Firm’s global financial services regulatory and global insurance regulatory product group.
Pierre regularly speaks and writes on corporate, financial services and insurance topics. He is a guest lecturer at Belgian universities. Pierre has been awarded with the Client Choice Award 2017 and 2018 for Banking in Belgium. He is also ranked as a leading individual by Legal 500, and highly regarded by Chambers and IFLR for EU regulatory financial services, FinTech, insurance and private equity. Who 's Who Legal mentions him as a global FinTech expert. DLA Piper recently won the Trends Legal Award for best law firm in banking, finance and insurance.
Pierre has a Law degree from University of Antwerp and KU Leuven and a Licentiate degree in Business Sciences from Lessius Hogeschool. He studied abroad in Amiens (France), Champaign (USA) and Berlin (Germany).
- Assisted Belfius group with setting-up a strategic partnership with Proximus with an eye on developing an innovative combined product offering for banking and telecom products.
- Assisted Argenta group with the investment of Argenta in Cake and the commercial partnership between Argenta and Cake, an open banking platform.
- Assisted Unifiedpost group, an enabler of SME financial and document processes and a licensed payment services provider, with the global roll-out of their product-offering in 27 new markets by setting up local branches.
- Assisted KBC group with its Bulgarian reorganisation project, which included preparatory share transfers and a cross-border merger between KBC AM and UBB AM.
- Assisted Travelex AcquisitionCo (as seller) with the auction sale and purchase of the shares in Travelex.
- Assisted Minna Technologies with its global scaling.
- Assisted Visa with the Belgian regulatory aspects of the acquisition of Tink, a European open banking platform.
- Assisted Alan, a French licensed InsurTech, with the set-up and development of its distribution network in Belgium.
- Assisted ING group with various strategic and high-end commercial litigation matters.
- Assisted several significant European banks with regulatory enforcement actions, including pleadings before regulatory enforcement bodies of ECB and local regulators, as well as before European and local courts.
- Assisted Tioga Capital Partners with the regulatory, corporate and tax structuring and set-up of its private equity crypto funds.
- Assisted Lloyd's of London with its relocation project to Belgium following Brexit (denotes experience at Pierre’s previous firm).
- Assisted several Lloyd's of London coverholders with their relocation across Europe following Brexit.
- Assisted Athora group with the auction sale of the former Generali Belgium non-life business to Baloise group.
- Assisted Amlin Insurance UK with the merger with Amlin Europe, and the relocation and licensing of the Societas Europaea (SE).
- Assisted a major international reinsurer with various regulatory matters applicable to conducting reinsurance activities in Belgium.
- Assisted a top-three Belgian combined life and non-life insurer with the sale of three worldwide run-off portfolios.
- Assisted several significant Belgian banks and insurers with regulatory capital issuances and conversions.
- Lessius Hogeschool Antwerpen, Licentiate Business Sciences, 2005
- University of Applied Sciences, Exchange Program Licentiate Business Sciences, 2003
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Licentiate in Law, 2001
- P. Berger, Oprichting van vennootschappen, 2021;
- P. Berger, Chapter in: De NV in de praktijk, aflevering 193 – Witwassen van misdaadgeld, Juni 2021;
- P. Berger, I. Van Biesen and M. Goossens, PEPPS in europe: Time to start thinking about a potential pan-european personal pension product offering, January 2021;
- P. Berger and M. Van de Looverbosch, Chambers, Global Practice Guide – Blockchain 2020, 2020;
- P. Berger and M. Goossens, Elektronisch online betalen, December 2020;
- P. Berger, P. Kustermans and M. Goossens, Where true innovation and FinTech meet, December 2020;
- P. Berger and M. Van de Looverbosch, Belgian chapter in: Thomas A. Frick (ed.), The Financial Technology Law Review (Edition 3), June 2020;
- P. Berger and M. Van de Looverbosch, Chapter in: S. Adams Bhatti, S. Chishti a.o. (eds.), The LegalTech Book, June 2020;
- Impact of COVID-19 on the financial services and insurance sectors, April 2020;
- Belgian legislative proposal implementing the Shareholders’ Rights Directive II – new rules and impact, January 2020;
- Lloyd's komt niet toevallig naar Brussel
- Partner at DLA Piper UK LLP, Head Financial Services and Insurance sector Belgium, July 2018 - present;
- Arbitrator at Cepani, March 2015 - present;
- Chair, Global Financial Services (General) Sub-group of the Financial Services sector, September 2019 – present;
- SteerCo Member, Global Financial Services Regulatory Sub-group of the Financial Services sector, September 2019 – present;
- SteerCo Member, Global Insurance Regulatory Sub-group of the Insurance sector, September 2019 – present;
- SteerCo Member Global FinTech working group at an Antwerp office of a large international law firm, July 2016 - June 2018;
- SteerCo Member EMEA Financial Services & Insurance practice group at an Antwerp office of a large international law firm, July 2015 - June 2018;
- Partner at a large international law firm from September 2001 to June 2018 – based in Antwerp.
Memberships And Affiliations
- VRG Alumni
- Antwerp Bar Association
- European Association of Bank and Financial Lawyers
- Belgische Vereniging van Advocaten in Beurs - en Financieel Recht
My latest insights
Looking ahead: the regulatory landscape for financial services in 2023
1 December 2050 .2 minute read
Digital Guide: industry-specific analyses of artifical intelligence
27 January 2023 .1 minute read