Jon ChiamSenior Associate
Jon Chiam practises in the areas of construction and commercial disputes and has over 5 years of experience acting for clients in the oil and gas, mining and information technology sectors.
Jon has a strong understanding of each stage of the dispute resolution process and has assisted clients both in Australia and more broadly in the Asia-Pacific region in pursuing and protecting their interests through various forms of dispute resolution. He has acted on high value and complex international and domestic arbitrations, adjudications under Security of Payment legislation, as well as proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
Jon’s previous experience and completion of a Bachelor of Commerce assists him in providing commercial and practical advice and strategic value to his clients.
- Acting for a significant construction and engineering joint venture contractor in numerous adjudications under Security of Payment legislation and international arbitrations concerning the construction of an LNG plant and associated infrastructure in Australia
- Acting for a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company in an arbitration in relation to the termination of long term IT services contracts
- Acting for an ASX-listed silver miner in a dispute against a substantial shareholder relating to the exercise of an anti-dilution right under a collaboration agreement
- Acting for an ASX-listed gold miner in in civil fraud and breach of fiduciary duty proceedings against a former employee
- Acting for the owner of a US-based mining project in a dispute with a purchaser relating to the breach and subsequent termination of a share purchase agreement
- Acting for participants in a joint venture formed for the development of an iron ore project in Western Australia, in proceedings before the Mining Warden with respect to objections to the grant of applications for mining tenements
- Acting for an Australian mineral exploration company in proceedings before the Minister for Mines and Petroleum in relation to the termination of tenement applications in the public interest
- Acting for an Australian mining services provider with respect to variations to a steel supply contract
- Assisting a government regulatory body in relation to a high-profile public inquiry into a casino operator
- University of Western Australia, Graduate Diploma in Chinese Business Law, 2017
- University of Western Australia, Diploma of Modern Languages (Chinese), 2016
- University of Western Australia, Bachelor of Commerce (Quantitative Finance & Investment Finance), 2016
- University of Western Australia, Bachelor of Laws, 2016
- Asian-Australian Lawyers Association
- Society of Construction Law Australia