Matt Cole is a corporate partner advising Irish, UK and international clients on M&A and Equity Capital Markets transactions as well as listed companies on their ongoing compliance obligations. He is Partner with joint-responsibility for ESG in Ireland.
Noted for his practical style and commercial attitude Matt has led some of the most complex and high profile M&A and private equity transactions in Ireland in recent years. Matt has particular experience in insurance, real estate and energy M&A and is co-head of our Insurance practice in Dublin.
Matt is also one of Ireland’s most experienced ECM practitioners having led the IPOs of a number of high profile companies listed in Ireland. He leads our Irish ECM practice and has almost 20 years of experience advising corporate issuers and major investment banks on a wide range of transactions including IPOs, right issues and equity placings in Dublin, London and internationally.
He is a regular speaker on M&A, ECM and corporate governance issues and author of the Irish chapters of 'Mergers & Acquisitions: International Series' (Second Edition) Sweet & Maxwell 2016, 'The Initial Public Offerings Law Review' (3rd Edition) Law Business Research 2019 and Initial Public Offerings (3rd Edition) GLG 2019. Matt regularly chairs a panel at the ABA/Law Society conference ‘Capital Markets in the 21st Century’.
- PIB Insurance on all aspects of their entry into the Irish market including the acquisitions of Optis Insurance, Creane and Creane, Campion Insurance, Oliver Murphy Insurance and Alan Tierney & Partners.
- Keywords Studios plc on its acquisition of Australian studio Wicked Witch.
- A major private equity backed consolidator on the acquisition of Ireland’s largest insurance broker.
- Ogier on its merger with Leman Solicitors.
- Xylem Inc on its acquisition and subsequent disposal of smart street light and meter developer SELC.
- A US West Coast private equity firm on the acquisition of an Irish care homes business.
- The management of Global Shares on its sale to JPMorgan.
- Navitas Semiconductor Limited on its merger with Live Oak Acquisition Corp II, the first de-SPAC transaction involving an Irish target.
- A major Irish housebuilder on its IPO on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges and subsequent secondary issuance and the underwriters on the IPO of another major Irish housebuilder.
- Two of the four listed Irish REITs on their IPOs.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, BSc International History
- College of Law London, CPE and LPC
- Matthew Cole focuses on ECM matters, bringing significant experience from his professional background in the London market to advise clients on complex mandates. Sources say: "The technical expertise he has is extremely strong and his client service is excellent. He performs wonderfully well in a demanding environment." Chambers and Partners
- For Commercial, Corporate and M&A, Matthew Cole is "a key name" Legal 500
- 2020 to Date, DLA Piper
- 2013-2020, Corporate partner at leading Irish law firms
- 2003-2012, London based global law firm