Birgit CreemersLead Lawyer
Birgit Creemers is a lawyer in the Litigation & Regulatory department, in which she focuses on cases concerning spatial planning, urban planning, environmental law and administrative law.
Since the start of her career, she has gained experience in various files, such as urban planning environmental permit processes, zoning files, recovery claims, housing quality issues.
She specialises in various property-related matters, including plan damages and expropriation proceedings. Birgit advises both private developers on private development projects and public authorities on the preparation of zoning plans and zoning regulations. She deals with complex planning issues, such as the implementation of mitigating measures of environmental impact studies.
Birgit also focuses on environmental law matters. She is particularly familiar with soil regulations and environmental permit procedures. She assists various industrial clients during their soil remediation processes and advises them on all aspects of their environmental permits, including representation during administrative and jurisdictional proceedings before the Council for Permit Disputes and the Council of State. She is also regularly consulted regarding nitrogen and PFAS issues.
- Advising clients on nitrogen and PFAS issues and the impact on their business operations as well as assistance with procedures for (ex officio) adjustment of the integrated environmental permit.
- Filing permit- and planning-related procedures at administrative courts such as the Council for Permit Disputes and the Council of State for local governments and private parties.
- Reviewing and screening environmental impact assessments for their legality for a private developer, with a view to correctly translating the conclusions of the MOBER's conducted.
- Representation of a company in the waste industry before the Council for Permit Disputes concerning an environmental permit for the construction and operation of a waste incineration plant.
- Advising a local government on the use of urban planning charges for permits.
- KU Leuven, Master of Laws, 2014
- Københavns Universitet - exchange program, 2012
- SPRYG Real Estate Academy, 2 April 2019, "De Vlaamse Omgevingsvergunning"
- 2014 - 2017, lawyer at a Brussels-based national law firm
- 2017, legal consultant at the city of Hasselt