Robert da Silva AshleyPartner
Robert da Silva Ashley is a trusted advisor to international and domestic financial institutions, project sponsors and developers, investment funds and multinational corporations, advising on sophisticated and market-leading complex cross-border and domestic project finance and corporate lending transactions throughout North America and Latin America.
Robert has extensive experience in the renewable energy, infrastructure, hospitality and industrial sectors, guiding clients through the financing of utility-scale wind and solar projects, distributed solar generation, conventional power plants, carbon capture and sequestration facilities, midstream assets, onshore and offshore oil and gas exploration and production, chemical plants, and resorts and hotels across the Americas.
Robert’s clients have relied on his counsel for other fundamental corporate initiatives, including asset purchase and dispositions, recapitalizations, and workouts and restructurings. He also has significant experience representing multilateral financing institutions, state-controlled development banks and export-credit agencies.
- Represented a multinational renewable energy developer and its affiliated companies in a series of complex and layered financing transactions aggregating US$685 million for the development, construction and operation of a 400 megawatt solar project located in Starke County, Indiana, the first of three phases of what will become the largest integrated photovoltaic solar electricity generating facility in the US
- Represented a Mexico-based industrial and commercial global holding company, and its affiliates, in obtaining a US$300 million revolving credit facility from a club of leading international commercial banks
- Represented a Spanish-headquartered international financial services company with the structuring, negotiation and documentation of a US$80 million senior secured term loan credit facility, and a separate amendment and restatement of a US$24 million senior secured term loan credit facility, provided to an Argentine pipeline transportation of natural gas company and its affiliate
- Represented a prominent international renewable energy sponsor and its affiliated companies in the negotiation and documentation of a construction loan facility and a letter of credit facility for the development of an Illinois-based 259.8-megawatt wind project
- Represented a global institutional investor on the US$6.45 billion hybrid acquisition and project financing of the US$8.6 billion acquisition of 90% of the largest natural gas transmission network owner in Brazil, from a Brazilian state-owned oil company
- Represented an international financial services company on the US$140 million multi-draw senior secured term loan financing to an Argentine state-owned energy company
- Represented utility company on the US$500 million senior syndicated term loan financing led by a credit card service company as agent and arranger
- Represented a nuclear electric power generation company on numerous project financings for the development and construction, refinancing, acquisition and disposition of conventional power plants, utility-scale and distributed solar plants, wind farms, carbon capture and sequestration facilities
- Represented a retail banking company on numerous project financings of utility-scale wind projects located throughout North America
- Represented a power company on the stapled project bond financing package offered in the US$1.175 billion sale of a 33% minority interest in its solar portfolio to a financial consultant company
- Represented a synthetic rubber manufacturing company on numerous widely syndicated and bilateral senior term and revolving loan financing transactions aggregating over US$650 million provided by numerous international banks
- Represented an American-based multinational power generation development and operations company on the financing aspects of the build-transfer sale of several wind projects
Represented a Spanish-headquartered international renewable energy company on a secured swap financing transaction with an investment management company for the development, construction and operation of the 93 megawatt wind farm located in Cameron County, Texas and the subsequent closing of the corresponding tax equity investment
- Represented multiple international and domestic development banks on the US$607 million hybrid acquisition and project financing provided to an investment management company for the acquisition of an ultra-low sulfur gasoline refining facility located in Tamaulipas, México from Mexican state-owned oil company
- Represented three international banks on multiple syndicated multi-draw term loan financings for an aggregate US$230 million to a subsidiary of Chilean state-owned oil and gas company for the expansion of offshore exploration and production facilities
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law
- BA, University of California, San Diego, summa cum laude
- Board of Directors, Schools That Can, 2015-present
- Acting Communications Director, Binational Liaison (US-México), US House of Representatives (CA-51), 2002-2003