Jean-Michel DetryOf Counsel
Jean-Michel Detry advises on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions and commercial law, with a particular emphasis on litigation and arbitration. He also assists client in corporate finance.
In the areas of corporate and M&A, Jean-Michel assists clients in connection with corporate and group restructuring, acquisitions and takeovers of privately held or publicly listed companies. This includes setting up holding and finance companies, corporate compliance work, pre-acquisition legal audits, negotiation of share purchase and shareholders' agreements or asset deals, as well as all work related to agreements and corporate reorganisation.
He also regularly advises clients on the implementation and development of their activities in many different sectors including hotel and hospitality, real estate, industrial, chemical, financial, and media sectors.
Jean-Michel is also a well-known litigator, handling acquisition-related litigation, shareholder disputes, the protection of minority shareholders, squeeze-outs, directors' liability cases and post-acquisition disputes. In this respect, he represents clients in court in Belgium and acts as counsel to parties or as arbitrator in domestic and international arbitration cases.
- University of Michigan Law School, Master of Comparative Law (Fellowship granted by the Belgian-American Educational Foundation (CRB)), 1976
- Cambridge University, Diploma for Foreign Lawyers (Fellowship granted by the Wiener-Anspach Foundation), 1974
- Free University of Brussels, Lic. Juris, Magna cum laude, 1974
- Belgium - Hotel Management Agreements, 20 Apr 2018
- Corporate acquisitions and mergers in Belgium, Wolter Kluwer, 2017
- 2016 to date, Of Counsel, DLA Piper
- 2005 to 2016, Partner, DLA Piper
- 2000 to 2005, Partner, international law firm
- 1995 to 1999, Founding Partner, Belgian law firm
- 1984 to 1994, Partner, Belgian law firm
- 1975 to 1983, Associate, international law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Brussels Bar
- Former Member of the Luxembourg Bar (list IV)
- Member of the International Chamber of Commerce (Belgium)
- Member of the CEPANI (Centre belge pour l’étude et la pratique de l’arbitrage national et international)
- Member of the Cercle de Lorraine and of the Cercle Royal Gaulois