Ellen Elizabeth DewPartner
Ellen Dew counsels domestic and international companies in the areas of complex litigation and compliance, risk assessment and corporate investigations.
Ellen regularly represents clients in complex civil litigation involving insurance, including insurance regulatory matters, product liability, securities, and corporate governance disputes. She has litigated in forums across the country on behalf of clients in a wide range of industries, among them global financial services, pharmaceutical, telecommunications, insurance and hospitality. Ellen has also represented clients in international and domestic arbitrations.
Ellen also has significant experience in corporate investigations and compliance. She regularly counsels clients on data management issues, including records retention, litigation holds and preservation and use of electronic information.
Ellen is also a member of the Baltimore Office's Hiring Committee and represents the Baltimore Office as a delegate of DLA Piper's Leadership Alliance for Women ("LAW").
- Represented an audit committee of telecommunications corporation in conducting an independent investigation of possible ethics code and accounting violations
- Represented Delaware Insurance Commissioner as statutory receiver, Delaware Deputy Attorneys General and other Delaware Department of Insurance receivership staff members in actions asserting common law and federal statutory claims
- Represented Delaware Insurance Commissioner in her role as statutory receiver of insolvent insurer in civil litigation related to receivership
- Representation of major media company in complex commercial litigation matters including defamation action pending in federal court in the District of Columbia and commercial disputes relating to purchase of TV network
- Represented a global financial services company, including affiliated investment advisers, broker dealers and associated persons in SEC investigation relating to use of quantitative models and related disclosures
- Represented a hospitality client in defense of a nine-figure ERISA class action suit in the US District Court for the District of Maryland
- Represented a global financial services and insurance company defending a case alleging purported violations of the False Claims Act
- Represented a hotel franchisor in US$75 million lawsuit alleging invasion of privacy and negligent infliction of emotional distress
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in defense of cases in multiple jurisdictions involving hormone therapy treatment
- Advised managed care corporation in development of compliance program, with focus on record retention issues
- Represented a life, health and disability insurance company in defense of claims alleging wrongful denial of benefits in violation of ERISA
- Represented a global life insurance company in lawsuits filed by a large commercial bank seeking recoveries arising from investment losses related to bank owned life insurance
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law 2008
Executive Symposium Editor, Journal of Business & Technology Law
- B.A., Letters and Spanish, University of Oklahoma 2005
Phi Beta Kappa, Letters and Spanish
summa cum laude
In 2020, Ellen was awarded the Distinguished Pro Bono Volunteer Award by the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland ("PBRA"). The Maryland Pro Bono Service Awards were designed to honor attorneys, judges, and organizations who have gone above and beyond for their community. The PBRA of Maryland is the pro bono arm of the MSBA and helps increase access to justice to vulnerable Marylanders by connecting attorneys to pro bono service.
In 2018, The Daily Record named Ellen to its Leading Women list. The annual list recognizes women, 40 years of age and younger, for their professional accomplishments, community involvement and commitment to inspiring change.
In 2011, The Daily Record named Ellen to its Twenty In Their 20's list, noting that she was "chosen on the basis of her professional accomplishment, civic involvement and impact of achievement. The program celebrates the best and brightest under 30 whose creativity and spirit are already contributing to a new energy in Maryland."
Ellen also represents clients in various pro bono matters. Of note, she has successfully represented clients in Immigration Courts around the country as well as before the Board of Immigration Appeals who are seeking asylum and related immigration relief. She frequently participates in the Baltimore office's Signature project, Empowering Students and Families, representing families of students receiving special education and related services in Maryland schools. Ellen also regularly represents victims of domestic violence in court hearings on requests for protective and peace orders in the State of Maryland.
Civic and Charitable
- 2020 Distinguished Pro Bono Volunteer Award, Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Thomas B. & Elizabeth M. Sheridan Foundation, Inc.
- Member, Board of Trustees of The Bryn Mawr School
- Member, Board of Directors, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- Member, The Women's Law Center of Maryland
Memberships And Affiliations
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association