Joe Davison's law practice concentrates in business and commercial litigation, focusing on complex commercial disputes and appellate litigation. Named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers for Business Litigation, Joe has defended and prosecuted high-stakes commercial claims, including matters involving fraud, breach of contract, consumer protection, and data privacy. Joe regularly counsels clients on pre-litigation dispute resolution and effective litigation strategy, quickly and efficiently obtaining favorable results for his clients.
Joe’s practice includes representing insurers in coverage and bad faith matters across the country, including as appellate counsel and at trial for one of the world's largest insurers.
Representative Complex Commercial Engagements
- Defended insurance company at trial in breach of contract, bad faith, and unfair competition action. Obtained complete defense verdict in the first jury trial on the issue in California
- Defended large insurer groups in state and federal courts across the country in coverage and bad faith actions related to claimed damages from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Prosecuted breach of contract and trade secret action on behalf of a large India-based company. Secured summary judgment victory holding defendant liable for breach of contract and trade secret violations that led to a favorable settlement
- Prosecuted breach of contract and unjust enrichment claims on behalf of major utility company against infrastructure corporation. Successful strategy led to a multi-million dollar settlement
- Represented international winemaker in products liability matter. Obtained a complete summary judgment victory that found no liability for the client. Represented client on appeal to state supreme court, which upheld the trial court’s ruling.
- Represented major food conglomerate in several cases, including employment and other general matters
- Defended large real estate developer in several securities actions filed by investors in former project
- Represented athletic training company in several engagements, including handling public relations advice, compliance issues, and other general matters
- Managed substantial lawsuit for sports academy against a former employee dealing with trade secret, fiduciary duty, tortious interference, licensing, conversion, and data privacy issues. Obtained critical victories through targeted dispositive motions that led to a favorable settlement
- Defended Seattle professional sports franchise in securities matter brought by an original investor. Utilized an aggressive strategy to lead to quick and favorable resolution
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law
- B.A., University of Washington
- Standards of Review in Law and Sports: How Instant Replay’s Asymmetric Burdens Subvert Accuracy and Justice, 8 Harv. J. Sports & Ent. L. 1 (2017) (co-authored with University of Washington Law Professor Steve Calandrillo)
- Throwing the Flag on Pay-for-Play: The O'Bannon Ruling and the Future of Paid Student-Athletes, 11 Wash. J.L. Tech. & Arts 155 (2015)