Mamadou GackoSenior Associate
Mamadou Gacko has over 10 years’ experience representing and advising States, international organizations and private entities in international arbitrations organized under the ICC or UNCITRAL arbitration rules. Mamadou has represented clients in a wide variety of sectors, including construction and engineering, energy and mineral resources, and government contracting.
Mamadou also represents clients before French and OHADA State courts in proceedings ancillary to arbitration, including in relation to the recognition and enforcement or the setting aside of arbitral awards. He has also acted as an arbitrator in private commercial disputes.
Mamadou is a dual national of France and Senegal and has a particular geographical focus on matters involving African States and parties or activities taking place in Francophone and Southern Africa.Mamadou regularly speaks and writes on international arbitration topics and formerly lectured on Private International Law and French Law on International Arbitration at Pantheon-Sorbonne University.
- Representation of a State in a USD 40 million, Paris seated, French language, French law ICC arbitration relating to the procurement of military equipment.
- Representation of a State in a USD 200+ million, Paris seated, French language, French law ICC arbitration relating to security services.
- Representation of the Democratic Republic of the Congo in an annulment action before the Paris Court of Appeal and in other litigation relating to efforts by an investment fund to enforce over USD 100 million in sovereign debt.
- Representation of a European company in a EUR 25 million, Paris seated, French law, French language, ICC arbitration relating to the provision of preform molds and associated equipment.
- Representation of a European company in a Paris seated, English language, French law ICC arbitration in relation to the provision of submarine rock placement works.
- Representation of a Swiss natural resources trading company in a Paris seated, English language, Swiss law ICC arbitration relating to the provision of minerals assay analysis.
- Representation of a North African affiliate of a Chinese engineering and construction company in a Casablanca seated, English language, Moroccan law ICC arbitration relating to the construction of energy storage equipment installed in a solar power plant.
- Representation of an international organization in a French language UNCITRAL arbitration relating to the performance of a lease contract.
- Representation of a European arms manufacturer in a London seated, English language, English law ICC arbitration relating to the provision of anti-submarine detection equipment to a State.
- Paris Bar School, Lawyer’s Certificate, 2014
- Pantheon-Sorbonne University, Master of Laws in Private International Law and International Trade Law, Cum Laude, 2011
Recent conferences include:
- ICC Africa Conference on International Arbitration, June 2022: Enforcement of Arbitral Awards: Challenges in the OHADA Region
- Arbitration in Public Law, CY Cergy Paris University, October 2021: The Court Review of Arbitral Awards Rendered Regarding International Government Contracts: A Comparative Review
- Arbitration and Securities under OHADA Law, June 2021: The Joinder of Personal Guarantors
Publications and media
- The Court Review of Arbitral Awards Rendered Regarding International Government Contracts: A Comparative Review, Cahiers de l’arbitrage, 2022, n°2, p. 561 (in French: https://www.labase-lextenso.fr/cahiers-de-larbitrage/CAPJIA2022-2-014)
- Coeditor, The Joinder of Personal Guarantors in Arbitration Proceedings (with Michael Ostrove), in A. Ngwanza (ed.), Arbitrage et sûretés en droit OHADA (Actes du colloque des 10 et 11 juin 2021, Abidjan), LexisNexis, 2021, p. 73 (in French)
Additional insights (interview):
- A. C. Diallo, Me GACKO décrypte les défis de l’arbitrage en Afrique, Business Africa, 30 September 2020 ((africabusinessmag.com), retrieved 14 December 2022
- 2017-2019, Lecturer in French Law on International Arbitration, Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne University
- 2014-2016, Lecturer in Private International Law, Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne University
- 2014-2016, Associate, Paris-based disputes resolution boutique
Memberships and Affiliations