Yan Grinblat has broad experience defending clients in shareholder and consumer class actions.
He has represented numerous private and public companies in consumer class actions alleging violations of state and federal privacy and consumer protection statutes, as well as class claims alleging consumer fraud, breaches of contract, and breaches of warranty. Yan also advises clients regarding compliance with privacy laws.
He has also represented numerous corporations, financial institutions, and insurance entities in the defense of securities class actions and shareholder derivative claims, as well as internal and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions.
Yan also maintains an active pro bono practice.
Consumer Class Actions
- Represent Travel + Leisure (Formerly Wyndham Destinations) in five class actions in three different federal courts alleging violations of consumer protection statutes, consumer fraud, and breach of contract. Motions to dismiss granted in two actions and pending in three others.
- Defend J. Crew Group in multiple class actions alleging violation of consumer privacy statutes in federal and state court. Obtain dismissal of federal court action, which was affirmed by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented Hilton Worldwide in federal consumer class action seeking to certify a nationwide class of purchasers in connection with alleged consumer data privacy violations.
- Obtained favorable resolution of statutory consumer fraud claims against retailer alleging improper labeling.
- Advised professional sports franchise regarding mitigation of litigation risk and compliance with federal privacy statutes.
Shareholder Class Actions
- Represent a major insurance company in a securities class action, as well as three follow-on shareholder derivative actions filed in federal and state court. Achieve dismissal with prejudice of two derivative actions and stay of third derivative action, as well as reversal of class certification in the securities action before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtain dismissal of securities claims against specialty insurer Atlas Financial and two Atlas executives.
- Defend former executive of medical device manufacturer in stockholder class action, follow-on derivative action, and regulatory investigation alleging violations of securities laws.
- Prevailed on multiple motions to dismiss on behalf of audit firm in two separate securities class actions.
- Defended a major insurance company in dispute with a software vendor alleging breach of contract. Achieved dismissal with prejudice after discovery with no client contribution.
- Obtained injunction against competitor on behalf of international waste management and infrastructure company to preserve client’s trade secrets and customer base.
- Represented CEO of construction company in business dispute alleging breach of contract and fraud. Motion to dismiss granted with prejudice.
- Achieved favorable resolution of commercial dispute on behalf of international investment fund against commercial real estate developer.
- J.D., University of Michigan 2013
- B.A., English, University of California at Berkeley 2007
with high honors