Ruth Hoy has great experience in media and intellectual property litigation, mainly acting for media and sporting clients.
Ruth has knowledge in contract, copyright, trademarks, passing off, confidential information, defamation and privacy.
Ruth is the managing partner for the London office.
- Acting for an international sporting body to obtain the first ever interim injunction in Scotland to prevent internet streaming of live sports events
- Advising on anti-piracy litigation issues for the Premier League, including taking High Court proceedings to establish the legality of the importation and sale of foreign broadcaster smartcards in the UK and their use in pubs and clubs
- Acting in High Court litigation with a former franchisee of a mobile telecoms business; including termination of brand licence and associated issues
- Acting for an internationally famous musician/writer in a claim against his publishing company regarding royalty
- Acting in trademark and domain name enforcement matters for a variety of clients
- Acting in High Court defamation proceedings brought by an individual against a major High Street bank
- Advising in relation to privacy issues; assisting a client which had been the subject of undercover filming and how best to ensure that the programme which was aired was a fair and accurate assessment of events
- Advising major broadcasters on contractual, copyright and licensing issues
- Acting for major Hollywood film studios on international film distribution deal disputes
- Advising on reversionary copyright and remake rights for film companies
- Leeds University, First Class Honours in Law
- Birmingham University, LLM in Commercial Law
- Nottingham Law School, LPC with distinction
- Commended in the WTR 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals 2017
My latest insights
Law à la Mode: Fashion and retail legal challenges: fast fashion, metaverse, BNPL and more
2 September 2022 .1 minute read