Nicole Kapos practices in the corporate group with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions and private equity financings for both private and public companies.
Nicole has significant expertise related to the cannabis industry, working with licensed producers, license applicants and investors to facilitate market participation and regulatory compliance.
Nicole also regularly assists clients in a variety of other industries with all stages of their businesses from incorporation and early-stage financings to purchase and sale transactions, with an emphasis on start-up and emerging businesses. She has experience working with shareholders and their financial advisors to customize plans for corporate restructuring to maximize tax efficiency and to limit legal liability.
When not practicing law or spending time with her family, Nicole enjoys spending time on her yoga mat (both as a student and a teacher).
- Represented the owners of Brightworks Interactive Marketing Inc. in the acquisition by Venture Communications Ltd. as funded by CBGF.
- Represented LEAP Group Holdings Inc. in the acquisition of Canadian software companies, DivorceMate Software Inc. and MySupport Calculator Ltd.
- Represented Hush Blankets Inc. in the acquisition by Canada’s leading specialty sleep retailer, Sleep Country Canada Holdings Inc.
- Provided Canadian corporate and cannabis regulatory advice to ASX listed medicinal cannabis company, Althea Group Holdings Ltd (ASX: AGH), on its acquisition of Canadian extraction and contract manufacturing company Peak Processing Solutions, together with Althea's associated AUD30 million capital raising.
- Represented High Street Capital Partners, LLC in connection with its USD$314.2 million subscription receipt financing, reverse take-over of Applied Inventions Management Corp. and the listing of the resulting issuer, Acreage Holdings, Inc. (CSE: ACRG.U), on the Canadian Securities Exchange.
- Represented OG DNA Genetics Inc., a private cannabis genetics company with operations in the United States and the Netherlands, in connection with two private placement offerings for an aggregate of US$35 million.
- Represented Newstrike Resources Inc. (TSXV: HIP) in connection with its $40 million bought deal offering of units.
- Represented a syndicate of underwriters, co-led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. and Eight Capital, in connection with ABcann Global Corporation’s (TSXV: ABCN) $70 million bought deal offering of units and convertible debentures.
- Represented Up Cannabis Inc. in its RTO with Newstrike Resources Ltd. (TSXV: HIP) and in its pre-RTO licensing deal with The Tragically Hip and acquisition of Enderlein Nurseries, an applicant to become a Licensed Producer under the ACMPR.
- Represented Freshii Inc. (TSX: FRII) in connection with its $144 million initial public offering and TSX listing.
- Represented G3 Capital in a controlling investment in UBIFNorth in connection with UBIFNorth’s rollout of UBreakiFix stores across Canada.
- Represented Prinova Inc. in connection with a US$17 million growth equity investment by Volition Capital.
- Represented OpenGate Capital, a US private equity firm, in its acquisition of Axiall Corporation’s Royal Building Products’ window & door division.
- Represented MTY Foods (TSX:MTY) in its acquisition of Kahala Brands, the operator of 18 restaurant brands in 27 countries with approximately 2,800 locations, for approximately US$310 million, including US$240 million cash and the issuance of 2,253,930 shares of MTY.
- Certificate in Corporate Finance for Business Lawyers, Osgoode Professional Development
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School
- B.A., University of British Columbia
- Co-chair, 12th Business Law Summit, Law Society of Ontario, May 17, 2022
- Co-chair, 11th Business Law Summit, Law Society of Ontario, May 17, 2021
- Co-chair, 10th Business Law Summit, Law Society of Ontario, November 16, 2020
- Co-chair, 9th Business Law Summit, Law Society of Ontario, May 13, 2019
- Presenter, "Insight into Emerging Industries, Part 1: Cannabis", The Six-Minute Business Lawyer 2018, Law Society of Ontario, June 4, 2018
- Former Director, Danny Grossman Dance Company
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, The Law Society of British Columbia
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada advised both Brightworks and Zync in the launch of Believeco:Partners
7 November 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper Canada advised the LEAP Group on its acquisition of DivorceMate and...
20 December 2021 .3 minute read