Jan Karabeleš is a member of DLA Piper Prague’s litigation and regulatory team. Jan’s primary focus is on commercial litigation and arbitration, but he also has experience in various areas of regulatory compliance.
Jan represents clients mostly in the financial services, real estate, technology and consumer goods sectors both in court litigation and arbitration in various types of commercial disputes – from sale of goods/supply of services disputes to complex construction or acquisition-related disputes and damages claims. Jan also supports and represents clients in mediation or other forms of ADR in early stages of disputes.
Jan has also extensive experience in various areas of regulatory compliance, in particular banking and finance, gambling regulation and data protection.
In his regulatory role, Jan regularly represents clients in various types of proceedings before Czech regulatory bodies such as the Czech National Bank, The Office for Personal Data Protection or the Czech Telecommunication Office.
- Representing a company from a multinational steel manufacturing group in arbitration before the Arbitration Court attached to the Czech Chamber of Commerce and the Agricultural Chamber of the Czech Republic as a claimant in claim arising from non-fulfilment of a contract on supply of industrial machinery. After the decision in favor of the client was challenged by the defendant, this advice continued to successful representation of the client in a court proceeding before the Czech courts on the setting aside of the arbitral award.
- Representing a global personal-care product manufacturer in ICC arbitration against a CZK500 million post-acquisition claim raised by a major Czech investment group.
- Representing XL Catlin Services, an insurance company and member of AXA Group, in four court litigations regarding insurance indemnity claims raised by the Czech transport company. One of the disputes involved representation before the European Court of Justice in preliminary ruling proceedings concerning the interpretation of Regulation (EC) No 1896/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council, which was concluded in favor of the client.
- Representing a US-based B2B cloud computing services company in arbitration before the Arbitration Court attached to the Czech Chamber of Commerce and the Agricultural Chamber of the Czech Republic against a multimillion-USD post-acquisition claim raised by a Czech IT startup.
- Representing a local search company that develops digital maps and guides of cities as the defendant in arbitration before the Arbitration Court attached to the Czech Chamber of Commerce and the Agricultural Chamber of the Czech Republic against a multimillion-EUR post-acquisition claim raised by former shareholders.
- Representing the UK-based airline carrier in a number of disputes concerning the purchase of flight tickets by passengers for extremely low erroneous fares.
- Representing a JV vehicle of multinational investors in arbitration before the Czech Arbitration Court against a CZK120 million claim arising from a pre-contractual agreement relating to a real estate investment opportunity.
- Representing a major oil refining company in a court proceeding before the Czech courts on the setting aside of an arbitral award relating to a CZK17 billion claim.
- Representing leading Czech leasing companies in regulatory proceedings concerning the application for license of a consumer credit provider. This advice involved preparation of the license application, comprehensive revision of the client’s internal regulations and business operation processes, revision of the client’s contractual documentation with customers and representing the client in the application proceeding before the Czech National Bank.
- Representing leading Czech leasing companies in ongoing and ad hoc regulatory proceedings following from various consumer credit regulation requirements.
- Advising a company specializing in the provision of certification and testing services for gambling operators on regulatory issues regarding operation of gambling in the Czech Republic. This matter included assistance with the registration of the client as a certified testing facility in the Czech Republic and resulted in the required license being granted.
- Advising various corporations (including a steel and metal engineering company, a leading furniture retailer, an IT security company and a global insurance company) on personal data protection and privacy issues, including data breaches and AML compliance issues.
- Masaryk University, Faculty of Law, Mgr., 2014
- Northumbria University, Erasmus Programme, 2013-14