Dr Markus KaulSenior Associate
Dr Markus Kaul represents clients in international and domestic arbitration and commercial litigation matters, with an emphasis on contract law, corporate law and insurance law disputes.
He has comprehensive experience in cross-jurisdictional dispute resolution and regularly represents clients in public procurement disputes and in the area of liability of advisors.
- Representing a globally leading chemicals group in a large-volume (>EUR 300m) ad hoc arbitration in connection with a complex contractual dispute.
- Representing a leading international insurer in several DIS arbitration proceedings against claims arising out of warranty & indemnity (W&I) insurances for alleged breaches of guarantees under the respective SPA (including related proceedings before state courts).
- Acting for global insurance groups in relation to the worldwide enforcement of recourse claims.
- Representing an US-based third party funder in enforcing a payment claim secured by a pledge of shares in a German stock company against a debtor in Panama.
- Advising a limited liability company (GmbH) in a complex shareholder dispute, including representation in numerous injunction proceedings, actions to set aside shareholders’ resolutions and arbitrations.
- University of Trier, Dr. iur., 2019
- Higher Regional Court of Cologne, Second State Examination, 2017
- University of Trier, First State Examination, 2013
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recommended for arbitration and mediation as well as litigation
- Legal protection under the German Packaging Act - Door opener for public procurement law and private arbitration (co-authored with Dr Frank Roth), BB 2019, 1543
- Liability for capital market information in Private International Law, Lang Verlag, 2019
- Case note on decision of German Federal Court of Justice of 29 June 2017 (I ZB 60/16) on whether insolvency arbitrator is bound by arbitration clause in contract with insolvency debtor (co-authored with Dr David Buntenbroich), SchiedsVZ (German Arb. J.) 2018, 130
Memberships And Affiliations
- German initiative of young arbitrators (DIS40)
- Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises EWE in proceedings against former CEO and reaches settlement
7 July 2023 .2 minute read
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read