Tom Kelsall is an experienced real estate development and investment lawyer with a broad practice covering the real estate, financial services, energy and retail sectors in both national and international transactions.
Tom's clients include FTSE 100 listed and other PLC companies, local authority pension funds, all major UK clearing banks, a number of alternative lenders, renewable energy developers and a variety of international retailers. He heads up the real estate elements of DLA Piper's North West UK Real Estate Finance team.
- Advising Balfour Beatty Investments in relation to all aspects of its first build to rent residential development in the UK at New Cross, Manchester
- Leading the real estate team acting for a PLC bank in the provision of new debt facilities to an international investor for the acquisition and refinancing of a portfolio of West End trophy assets worth in excess of £800m. The transaction involved coordinating advice with offshore counsel to meet an aggressive timetable
- Acting for a PLC financial services provider in connection with the restructuring of its 200,000 square feet HQ lease. This was a complex transaction to include a flexible lease structure across a number of floors in the same building
- Leading the real estate team providing funding on behalf of UK clearing banks to a number of offshore Joint Venture companies (based in Luxembourg and Jersey) in relation to a portfolio of more than 40 properties with a value in excess of £110m
- Advising the private owner and developer on the refinance and redevelopment of a substantial residential property near St James's Park in London worth in excess of £100m
- Acting for Stobart Energy on all real estate aspects in connection with the sale, development and lease back of part of the £110m Combined Heat and Power with biomass plant being developed in Widnes
- Manchester University, BA (Hons) Law & Accountancy, 2000
- College of Law Chester, Legal Practice Course, 2001
Tom is Recommended for Real Estate in Manchester in The Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015 edition.
- 2016 to date, Partner, DLA Piper
- 2013 to 2016, Legal Director, DLA Piper
- 2008 to 2013, Senior Associate, DLA Piper
- 2003 to 2008, Solicitor, DLA Piper
- 2001 to 2003, Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper