Guido Kleve is Office Managing Partner of the Cologne office of DLA Piper. He advises public authorities and companies from various economic sectors on all regulatory and public law issues. He focuses on product and environmental law, infrastructure law, subsidy and state aid law. He has particular experience in conducting public law proceedings before authorities and courts and is also engaged in sports law. Guido Kleve is responsible for the Consumer Goods, Food and Retail sector in Germany.
Guido advises national and international clients from the automotive, consumer goods and manufacturing industries, the technology, transport and energy sectors on various regulatory issues in approval law, environmental and product law, product responsibility and safety as well as product recalls. A particular focus is on ESG and supply chain integrity issues.
In addition to issues relating to the energy and mobility transformation, Guido Kleve has particular experience in the area of infrastructure law. He advises his clients on the implementation of complex infrastructure projects (transport, ports, airports, rail and road transport, waste infrastructures, energy), including licensing law, financing, implementation of legal requirements and contract design, compliance and sustainability strategies.
He also deals with issues of public subsidies, public contracts and state liability. Guido Kleve represents clients in proceedings before national and European authorities and has extensive experience in public law disputes and damages proceedings, in which he represents clients before national and European courts.
Finally, another focus of his practice is advising companies and public authorities in crisis situations such as industrial accidents, environmental breaches or other compliance violations.
Guido Kleve is the author of numerous publications and a sought-after speaker and keynote speaker. In addition to his work as a lawyer, he has been a referee in professional football for almost 20 years.
- Advising numerous clients on applying for subsidies and state aid before national and European authorities, representing clients in proceedings before European Commission and European courts
- Product law advice to national and international companies incl. manufacturer obligations and product recalls in several jurisdictions
- Advising e-commerce providers, online service providers, platforms and fulfilment centres on legal requirements, in particular market surveillance and product law obligations
- Advising numerous clients regarding industrial accidents and compliance violations including defending third party claims and administrative offences
- Advising several automotive companies on new propulsion technologies (incl. hydrogen) and automatic/autonomous systems
- Advising transport companies, waste management companies, chemical parks and infrastructure operators on the establishment and/or restructuring of compliance systems
- Advising the Federal Republic of Germany in a state liability claim
- Advising associations and organisations on sports law
- University of Osnabrück, First State Examination
- Higher Regional Court of Oldenburg, Second State Examination
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for transport sector: regulatory and financing; 2021/2022: Frequently recommended for public sector: environmental and planning law, product-related environmental law: regulatory; “market-leading expert in his field”, competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for public law: environmental and planning law (including product-related advice), compliance: internal investigations and advice of the transport sector; “Excellent expertise with fast and efficient advisory practice.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recognised as “lawyer of the year” for EU law and recommended for public law as well as EU law
- Acritas Stars 2021: Listed as a “Star Lawyer” in Germany; Guido is “extremely responsive, knowledgeable, and a good business partner”, client
- WirtschaftsWoche 2021: Recommended as "Top Lawyer" for environmental and planning law
Guido Kleve is the author of over 35 articles and is a speaker for legal lectures. He also holds keynotes and seminars on the subject of "Making decisions safely and quickly - experiences from the perspective of a referee in professional football and a commercial lawyer", "Error culture in sport and companies" and "Successful teamwork - in sport and at work.”
- "Legal requirements for protection against radon", in: Klingelhöfer/Leicht (eds.), Radon protection in construction, Cologne 2023, in publication
- "Commentary on §§ 8-12, 63, 64 BNatSchutzG", in: Giesberts/Reinhardt (eds.), Beck'scher online commentary on environmental law, commentary on §§ 8-12, 63, 64
- "Commentary on Sections 30-33", in: Schink/Versteyl (eds.), KrWG - Commentary on the Circular Economy Act, 2nd ed. 2017
Guido worked for an international law firm as an Associate before he joined DLA Piper in 2008. Between 2002 and 2005, he was Assistant Lecturer at the European Legal Studies Institute in Osnabrück.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sportrecht im Deutschen Anwaltsverein
- Deutsche Vereinigung für Sportrecht e.V.
My latest insights
Report: Hydrogen 2022 – Tracking progress towards a clean hydrogen economy
16 October 2022 .1 minute read
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read