Léon Korsten advises on and litigates in cases involving EU and national competition law, state aid, market regulation (enforcement and supervision), public procurement and civil-law enforcement. He also advises on and assists in investigations and raids conducted by the regulatory authorities and he regularly conducts internal investigations for his clients. Léon also assists clients in drafting and implementing compliance programmes.
He has handled many European and Dutch competition law cases, including the Dutch civil proceedings which led to the famous 1999 Eco Swiss/Benetton judgment of the European Court of Justice.
Léon is Global Co-Chair of DLA Piper's Antitrust & Competition Group.
- Acting as defence counsel in relation to EU and national dawn raids and cartel investigations
- Acting as counsel in civil litigation and arbitration in relation to issues of enforcement and nullity of commercial contracts
- Acting as defence counsel in follow-on civil litigation in relation to a.o. the (alleged) vitamins cartel, veterinarians cartel, air freight cartel, paraffin wax cartel, German sugar cartel and natrium chloride cartel
- Advising and conducting civil litigation in relation to public procurement pertaining to a.o. collection of household waste and large and complex DBFM contracts
- Utrecht University, Dutch law, 1985
Awards and Recognitions
- Léon is consistently ranked in Chambers Europe for Competition/European Law
- Belgische wetswijziging introduceert B2B-bescherming; een voorbeeld voor Nederland? April 2020
- Ten key points you need to understand about the Brexit negotiations, January 2020
- Klimaat, duurzaamheid en mededinging, October 2019
- Mededingingsrecht en Compliance, December 2017
- Cartel Enforcement Global Review - June 2017
- Mind what you submit - EUR110 million fine for submitting misleading information during a merger notification, May 2017
- Not the last word - the final report on the e-commerce sector inquiry, May 2017
- Brexit: Expect the Unexpected, October 2016
- Antitrust Matters - July 2016
- Webinar - Procurement & Competition: bid rigging, consortia and subcontracting, December 2019
- Webinar - Brexit and Trade negotiations, December 2019
- Antitrust and Competition - Global Enforcement Priorities & German FCO’s Facebook decision, Tel Aviv-Yafo, June 2019
- Parental liability in relation to cartel fines and cartel damage claims, Helsinki, March 2017
From 2003 until 2008 was Léon honorary lecturer in competition law at Radboud University (Nijmegen).
Léon taught from 2008 until 2012 procedural administrative/enforcement law at the Law Firm School (LFS). He frequently teaches courses and gives training sessions.
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Association of Competition Law (Vereniging voor Mededingingsrecht)
- The Dutch association of European Law (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Europees Recht)
- The Association of Administrative Law (Vereniging van Administratief Recht)
- The Association of Dutch lawyers (Nederlandse Juristen Vereniging)