Dr Nils Krause LL.M.Partner
Professionally outstanding and very well networked; fast and pleasant.
Dr Nils Krause advises German and foreign companies on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions including public takeovers, private equity / venture capital transactions and on matters of German corporate law and corporate group law.
His experience encompasses corporate restructurings, on-going advice on capital markets law and the formation of joint ventures. Nils also advises private clients, fiduciaries and charitable organisations with respect to the structuring of assets and administration.
In addition, Nils advises management boards, supervisory boards and managing directors on corporate governance, corporate compliance as well as on shareholders' meetings.
While being legally qualified in Germany, Nils is also qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales. He is also qualified as German Certified Specialist for Corporate Law as well as being a German Certified Specialist for Tax Law in light of his practical experience.
Nils heads the German Corporate group of DLA Piper.
- Advising on Chinese investments in Germany in various sectors
- Advising on entering the Chinese and Hong Kong market and setting up joint ventures in these jurisdictions
- Structuring international investment vehicles for private clients
- Advising on numerous private equity / venture capital transactions in the technology sector
- Advising on cross-border investments in Eastern Europe
- Structuring foundations for the purpose of company succession
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Erstes Staatsexamen / First State Examination
- Hanseatisches Oberlandesgericht Hamburg, Zweites Staatsexamen / Second State Examination
- Durham University, LL.M.
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Dr. jur.
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for corporate law, M&A, private equity transactions (mid cap), venture capital as well as company succession and trusts “professionally outstanding and very well networked”, competitor, “fast and pleasant”, competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for corporate law, M&A: mid-sized deals (-EUR500 million) and private equity: transactions; “outspoken personality in M&A”, “makes extremely smart and mutually acceptable solution proposals.”
- Chambers Europe Germany 2022: Recommended for corporate/M&A: Mid-Market; “Besides being an expert in his field, I got to know Nils as a very proactive, super pragmatic, extremely deal-driven individual who is never shy to give his opinion, even if it means taking a big risk.“, client
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for corporate and M&A
- WirtschaftsWoche 2021: Listed as German “Top Lawyer” in the area of corporate and M&A
Nils is a visiting lecturer at the Hamburg School of Business Administration for Compliance. At Bucerius Law School in Hamburg he lectures a course on 'Practical Aspects of Mergers & Acquisitions'.
Nils regularly publishes papers on various corporate law and foundation law topics. He has been appointed as a regular contributor on company law for the journal Betriebs-Berater (Company Counsel) since 2008 and serves also as the Germany correspondent for the International Company and Commercial Law Review.
Nils worked for a considerable length of time in the corporate department of an English law firm in London. In addition, he was a visiting researcher at Harvard Law School and a visiting fellow at the University of Oxford. Furthermore, he worked in the investment banking department (Global Banking - M&A) of a leading international bank in Frankfurt. Before joining DLA Piper in 2011, he was a partner with another international law firm for which he served in the China Desk.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Hanseatic Bar Association Hamburg
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- Chairman of the Corporate Law Association Hamburg
- Corporate Law Association
- German-American Lawyers' Association
- German Chinese Lawyers' Association