Katie LaKomaOf Counsel
Katie Philippart LaKoma regularly represents fund sponsors in all aspects of the structuring and operation of private investment funds with a particular focus on real estate and real-estate related assets. Katie also represents a variety of taxable and, tax-exempt, foreign governmental and non-US investors in structuring tax-efficient investments in real estate, private equity and hedge funds.
Katie's experience includes providing tax advice to a wide variety of clients in connection with the formation and operation of partnerships, limited liability companies and real estate investment trusts (REITs). Katie has extensive experience in representing REITs and other real estate owners in closing real estate joint venture transactions. She also advises US and foreign corporations and partnerships on acquisitions, divestitures and other restructuring transactions.
- Represent large U.S. and German insurance companies on formation of programmatic joint ventures, including in transactions involving the use of private REITs, to hold U.S. real estate
- Advise public and private REITs in all U.S. federal income tax aspects of REIT formation, operation and compliance at both the property and REIT-level
- Represent taxable, tax-exempt and non-U.S. investors in structuring tax-efficient investments in real estate, private equity and hedge funds
- Regularly represent fund sponsors in all aspects of the structuring and operation of private investment funds, with a particular focus on real estate and real estate related assets
- J.D., University of California at Los Angeles School of Law
- B.A., University of Michigan
My latest insights
Final regulations for transfers of partnership interests take effect
19 January 2023 .6 minute read
IRS issues proposed regulations impacting the determination of domestically controlled...
29 December 2022 .1 minute read