Valerie LiSenior Associate
Valerie's main areas of practice are international arbitration and commercial litigation. Valerie is experienced in handling disputes covering areas including general commercial contracts, strategic alliance agreements, international sale of goods, debt and equity transaction disputes and licensing and distribution agreements in Hong Kong and London arbitrations as well as the Courts of Hong Kong SAR.
Valerie advises and represents clients in disputes from pre-arbitration assessments on liability, quantum, procedural steps, conducting arbitration proceedings, to post-arbitration enforcement and setting aside of arbitral awards involving various jurisdictions and rules including UNCITRAL Rules, ICC Rules, HKIAC Rules and LMAA Terms.
Valerie is a solicitor admitted in the High Court of Hong Kong SAR and has spent an extended period of time working in the firm's London office. In 2018, Valerie was accredited as a Tribunal Secretary at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC).
- Acting for Saleen Motors in their multi-billion dollar dispute with their joint venture partner in China involving arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong and applications before the Hong Kong Courts for anti-suit injunctions to restrain PRC court proceedings.
- Acting for China Meheco Corporation, subsidiary of China Meheco Group Co., Ltd, a Shanghai listed company backed by a State-Owned Enterprise in the PRC on its application to challenge the jurisdiction of the Hong Kong Court over international trade disputes against two German incorporated enterprises.
- Advising and acting on behalf of a leading Israeli innovative design and technology company in pursuing its multimillion claim for breach of patent license agreement against a leading Chinese technology company in an HKIAC administered arbitration.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading fashion group in China and USA in defending a multimillion claim arising from a bridge loan and warrant instrument in an HKIAC arbitration on UNCITRAL Rules.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a major Chinese data conversion company in defending an arbitration in the HKIAC involving disputes in relation to the design and operation of an e-Book distribution platform with claims and counterclaims of approximately US$ 50 million.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading Chinese electric power engineering company in its claim in HKIAC arbitration and the Hong Kong Courts against a Vietnamese thermal power plant operation company for fees and damages exceeding US$ 50 million arising from an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Contract.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading regional minerals investment and trading company, with total assets in excess of USD 10 billion, in its claim against a Hong Kong trading company. The dispute arose in connection with a sale and purchase contract of iron ore fines between the parties and was dealt with in a HKIAC arbitration under Hong Kong law. Award rendered granting over USD 1.4 million damages to the client. Successfully petitioned for the winding up of the opponent in the High Court of Hong Kong based on the arbitration award. (Reported case: Re Lucky Resources (HK) Ltd  4 HKLRD 301)
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading banking group in South East Asia in its Hong Kong Court action against a Hong Kong / Singapore media group pursuant to loan facility agreements, corporate and personal guarantees.
- Advising a Kenyan bank on disputes in relation to an advance payment guarantee against a Hong Kong company.
- Advising and acting on behalf of a shipbroker in its enforcement action of a judgment from the Court of Appeal in Hong Kong against a Chinese shipbuilding company.
- Advised on Hong Kong regulatory compliance matters in relation to distributorship agreements for a major Chinese lighting company.
- Advised and acted for shipowners and charterers in a number of charterparty disputes in accordance with HKIAC rules and LMAA terms.
- Advised and acted for a Hong Kong logistics company in relation to its defence against an injunction application in the High Court of Hong Kong.
- Advised and acted for a major PRC shipyard in a London arbitration to resist a claim of US$ 22 million in relation to a failure to deliver vessels under the shipbuilding contracts.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (Distinction)
- University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Laws – Dean’s Honours List
- University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Business Administration (Law)
- New Arrangement Between Hong Kong and the People's Republic of China Makes It Easier to Enforce Judgments in Both Jurisdictions (香港与内地之间的新安排使得判决在两个司法管辖区之间执行更为容易), 11 Feb 2019
- The Interplay Between Arbitration and Winding Up Petitions – Asian Dispute Review, January 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- Tribunal Secretary at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)