Michael G. LewisAssociate
Mike Lewis focuses his practice on internal and government investigations, white collar criminal defense matters and complex commercial litigation. He has broad litigation experience representing public and private sector clients, including financial services firms, pharmaceutical companies, domestic and international corporations, and individuals in proceedings in federal and state courts around the country.
Mike's criminal and regulatory engagements have included the representation of international companies and corporate officers in investigations conducted by the United States Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the New York Attorney General's Office, as well as other federal and state agencies. These matters have involved defending alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, as well as federal criminal fraud, bribery and conspiracy statutes.
Mike also represents clients in a wide variety of compliance matters and assists with enhancing their compliance programs in response to internal and external investigations. He has designed, coordinated and executed internal and public investigations on behalf of clients across a variety of industries and fields, both within the United States and internationally.
Recent Representations Include:
Criminal and Investigatory Experience
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in conducting an independent investigation into operational disruptions at JFK International Airport and issuing related public report
- A construction company executive charged in the Southern District of New York with bribery and public corruption offenses
- The audit committee of a publicly-traded telecommunications company in connection with criminal and civil Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations and a related internal investigation
- A global pharmaceutical company in connection with its investigation into a former employee's allegations that his termination constituted retaliatory action
- A global media company in a multi-jurisdictional investigation into corruption within international soccer
Commercial and Business Litigation
- A leading D&O insurer in a jury trial in the Eastern District of New York defending against claims brought by director of publicly-traded technology company, resulting in complete defense verdict, which was affirmed on subsequent appeal before US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- An international media network defending against defamation claims
- A global clothing retailer in a breach of contract dispute in the Southern District of New York
- Insurance companies in litigations and arbitrations in multiple jurisdictions relating to a workers compensation profit-sharing program
- A coal and petroleum provider and its officers in an adversary proceeding filed in the Southern District of West Virginia
- A Canadian soil remediation company in an action brought by a US prime contractor arising from alleged bid-rigging activities at a superfund site in New Jersey
- A former executive in employment dispute involving allegations of cyber piracy under the Lanham Act
- A multilateral financial institution concentrating on Latin America in an action to recover US$7.5 million from a US company pursuant to the terms of a guaranty
Real Estate and Foreclosure Litigation
- Major national bank and special servicer defendants in lender liability claims arising from leasehold mortgage for US$27 million loan in New York Supreme Court, New York County
- Lender, special servicer plaintiff and special-purpose entity in foreclosure action on a US$16 million loan in New York Supreme Court, Nassau County
- J.D., St. John's University
- B.A., Political Science and Spanish, Union College
- Co-author, "Gov't Contractors, Be Prepared For FCA Parallel Proceedings," Law360, April 24, 2019
- Co-author, "Third Circuit joins other circuits in enforcing Escobar's strict materiality requirement," DLA Piper, May 4, 2017
- Co-author, "DC Circuit joins other circuits in enforcing Escobar's strict materiality requirement: key takeaways," DLA Piper, February 21, 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers' Association
My latest insights
SCOTUS suggests expansive reach of "Bridgegate" ruling in directing Second Circuit to...
14 January 2021 .8 minute read
With unanimity comes clarity: In reversing Bridgegate convictions, a unanimous Supreme...
7 May 2020 .10 minute read