Anna I. MacMillanCounsel
Anna is a seasoned banking and corporate/commercial lawyer who acts for Canadian and international clients. In 2014, Anna received a Lexpert® Zenith Award for Leaders in Practice Excellence. She has also been recommended in The Legal 500 Canada 2016 Edition under Banking and Finance.
Anna works with her clients to address issues faced in their day to day business, and also advises on a broad variety of transactions and reorganizations. Anna has worked extensively with regulated financial institutions on a wide range of matters, leading project finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, complex reorganizations and advising on ongoing and transactional regulatory compliance requirements. She has specialized expertise in the payment card industry, including in gift card and loyalty programs. Anna regularly advises her financial services clients on their rollouts of new products and services.
Anna is a member of DLA Piper’s global Financial Services Regulatory group and the Payments group. She frequently works with her colleagues around the world to provide coordinated advice to clients with global reach or expansion plans.
Anna also has extensive experience in renewable energy project development and financings, including with respect to solar power fields, wind projects, hydroelectric generating stations, natural gas-fired electricity generating projects and nuclear plants.
Having encountered a vast range of challenges over diverse fields of work, Anna draws on a wealth of background to offer effective and creative solutions for her clients.
- Acted for a major U.S.-based bank on the sale of a $1.2 billion credit card portfolio
- Counsel to a global credit card acquiring company on the sale of large credit card acquiring portfolio to a major Canadian financial institution
- Structured and documented an alliance between a global payment card acquirer and key western credit union groups for provision of credit card services
- Led a complex reorganization relating to the credit card business of a large financial institution
- Led the acquisition of a foreign exchange business based in BC for a U.S. based client
- Successful negotiation of a client’s major merchant acquiring contract with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations during Air Canada insolvency
- Counsel to BCP International on the sale of BCP Bank Canada to Bank of Montreal
- Acted for a financial institution on the sale of a significant commercial lending and leasing business to GE Capital
- Financing for the construction of 20 solar photovoltaic fields (aggregate 165 MW) across Ontario
- Financing for the acquisition of a portfolio of 9 solar fields in Ontario
- Financing for the construction of 2 wind fields (300 MW total) in Alberta
- Acting for the investors in a $130 million 20 MW solar photovoltaic power station
- Financing for the construction and operation of a 285 MW natural gas-fired combined cycle electricity generating power plant in Ontario
- Development of a combined cycle combustion turbine power plant with 570 MW electric power output and related financing
- Construction of the addition of new hydro-electric generation capacity at several existing generating stations
- Nuclear plant refurbishment
- Construction of new office facilities for a major pharmaceutical company
- Construction of Windsor Casino 6 city block hotel and casino complex
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1985
- B.A., University of Manitoba, 1982
- Legal 500 Canada (Banking and Finance), 2016
- Lexpert® Zenith Award: Celebrating Today’s Leaders in Practice Excellence, 2014
Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished® Peer Review Rated
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Business Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association – Ontario
- Member of the Construction Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association – Ontario