Andrew MasseyLegal Director
Andrew has been based in Dubai for 10 years. He works extensively across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, acting for governments and international corporations on complex commercial disputes under a variety of civil and common law systems.
Andrew’s client centric and commercial approach is endorsed by client feedback, including, “a pleasure to work with. Always cool-headed even under pressure and a wonderful team player who delivers great results” (Legal 500).
Andrew handles a wide range of commercial and financial disputes and has a particular specialty in financial services, construction and energy disputes. Andrew has tried cases in all of the major arbitration forums including ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, and DIAC. Andrew also regularly acts for clients in the DIFC and ADGM Courts.
- Acted for KSA entity in DIFC-LCIA arbitration concerning allegations of fraud against the operator of two hotels in KSA with claim value in excess of USD 40 million.
- Acted for Abu Dhabi based entity in ICC arbitration with respect to a dispute concerning the construction of a major government building in Iraq.
- Acted for a major investment banking and asset management Company in relation to an ICC dispute seated in Paris, France under English law with claim value of USD 200 million.
- Acted for Dubai based EPC contractor in relation to ICC dispute seated in London under English law in relation to the construction of an LNG platform based in Thailand.
- Acted for a major Dubai Government entity in connection with a complex joint venture dispute with LCIA proceedings seated in London and associated proceedings in Cyprus and Russia with a claim value in excess of USD 200 million
- Acted for major Swiss Bank in defence of a pre-action disclosure application in the DIFC Courts including complex jurisdictional application concerning the Claimants' subscription in an Abi Dhabi investment fund.
- Acted for an international Bank in DIFC Court proceedings involving multiple defendants with claim value in excess of USD 20 million, in the substantive proceedings, and in relation to various appeals to the DIFC Court of Appeal, including actions for immediate judgment against some of the defendants.
- Acted and advised in relation to worldwide freezing injunction granted by the DIFC Court and related committal application concerning allegations of contempt of court.
- Acted for major international company in respect of anti-suit injunction application in the DIFC Courts.
- Acted in defence of application for recognition and enforcement of UAE Court judgment before the DIFC Courts which involved complex questions of UAE and DIFC law.
- Acted in defence of one of Dubai's major property developers in a dispute before the DIFC Courts in both the substantive claim and on appeal in respect of a multi-party contractual dispute relating to the ownership of Sky Gardens Tower in the DIFC, with a claim value (and counterclaims) in excess of USD 70 million.
- Acted in defence of a company and its shareholders concerning a claim for damages with respect to the validity of the issuance of a drag along notice on the Claimants.
- Acted in defence of a company director in one the first cases before the ADGM Courts in relation to a dispute with his co-director in both the interim application proceedings and the main claim.
- University College Dublin Bachelor of Civil Laws (BCL), 2001
- Attachment Orders (freezing injunctions) Q&A: Dubai International Financial Centre: Thomson Reuters, Practical law, October 2021
- Governing law and jurisdiction clauses Q&A: Dubai International Financial Centre:Thomson Reuters, Practical law, September 2021
- DIFC Courts' jurisdiction: Gulf News article published July 2021