David Mendelsohn focuses his practice in the area of insurance and reinsurance transactional and regulatory matters.
David has experience representing many insurers, reinsurers, brokers and other clients on a wide variety of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, complex regulatory and finite, structured risk and reinsurance matters. His practice also includes providing global regulatory and compliance advice to Fortune 500 and other international companies in a range of industries.
David is a member of DLA Piper's Executive Committee.
- LL.B., University College of London 1985
- LL.B., Lancaster Gate School of Law 1986
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology 1991
- Chambers USA
- Band 2, Illinois Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (2020-2023)
- Band 1, Illinois Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (2012-2019)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Insurance: Non-contentious (2019, 2022-2023)
- Recommended, Technology: Outsourcing
David has also been nominated by in-house counsel and peers to appear in the Guide to the World's Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers. He has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer and ICFM Leading Lawyer 500 and is included in the international listing of Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition. David is also listed in The International Who's Who of Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers; Illinois Leading Lawyers; Madison Who's Who of Executive Professionals; Best Lawyers in America; Who's Who in American Law; Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers and The Global Directory of Who's Who. Martindale-Hubbell has ranked him AV, the highest rating available.
David has been named numerous times as a member of the BTI Client Service All-Star Team for Law Firms, which includes lawyers who deliver "the best client service to Fortune 1000 clients." Lawyers appear on the list only when they have been named by clients in an unprompted manner through BTI's independent research. He is also only one of a handful of attorneys in the United States named to the BTI Client Service All-Star Team list for three consecutive years.
Civic and Charitable
- Director, Chicago Bar Foundation
- Board Member, Steppenwolf Theater Company
- Board Member, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Member, Advisory Committee and one of 125 Alumni of Distinction of IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
My latest insights
DLA Piper announces new US Executive Committee and Global Board members
3 June 2020 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Amynta in acquisition of ClearView Risk Holdings
19 January 2019 .1 minute read