Harriet Michael is an Associate in the Litigation, Arbitration and Regulatory Group at DLA Piper. She has experience in the area of commercial dispute resolution, including litigation and international arbitration.
Harriet advises on complex, multi-jurisdictional disputes spanning a range of sectors including technology, energy, media, sports and entertainment and corporate disputes for clients such as corporates, football clubs, private equity houses, pension funds, high net worth individuals and local governments.
Harriet supports the commercial litigation team with commercial strategy to ensure that clients achieve the best possible outcome, often resulting in successful dispute resolution.
Harriet is an active member of DLA Piper’s Leadership Alliance for Women and is committed to gender balance initiatives.
- Liverpool Football Club on in its successful defence of a claim brought by an agent for the alleged breach of an introducer agreement for non-payment of GBP1.2m of commission.
- A vehicle established by two high net worth individuals based in the Middle East in arbitral proceedings in the London Court of International Arbitration relating to a USD30m dispute arising out of a Share Purchase Agreement and subsequent Settlement Agreement, following our client’s investment in a petroleum storage unit on the Suez Canal.
- An IT services provider in High Court proceedings for breach of warranty and fraudulent misrepresentation arising out of a Share Purchase Agreement under which our client’s acquired an IT consultancy business.
- A North West based brewer and innkeeper in the merits of a breach of warranty claim following its acquisition of a portfolio of pubs.
- One of the Europe’s leading providers of end-to-end commerce solutions in bringing High Court Proceedings in respect of a debt claim against an online supermarket and defending a counterclaim arising out of our client’s alleged breach of Website Development, Hosting and Support Agreements.
- One of the UK’s largest local authorities in defending a high-value dispute arising out of our client’s alleged breach of a Project Agreement in respect of a private finance initiative project relating to the replacement and upgrade of the region’s highways and road networks.
- A global energy company on a wide range of disputes including defending data protection and consumer credit claims and bringing debt claims in the County Courts. Responsible for managing a portfolio of cases, instructing counsel, drafting documents including witness statements and advising on options for settlement.
- One of the world’s largest hotel groups in respect of:
- arbitral proceedings in the London Court of International Arbitration regarding the termination of long term franchise agreements in Germany; and
- the recovery of unpaid debts from franchisees across the globe.
- Liverpool John Moores University, BA Hons International Journalism, 2012
- Liverpool John Moores University, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2015
- Liverpool John Moores University, Legal Practice Course, 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- Charity – Harriet volunteers for The Girls’ Network charity, mentoring young girls from some of the least-advantages communities in Liverpool.
- Pro Bono – Assist Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit which supports people subject to immigration control with applications to the authority.
- Society Membership – Board member of Merseyside Young Professionals, a networking organisation run by and for professionals across Merseyside.