Sam Gokarn-MillingtonHe/himSenior Associate
Sam Millington practices in the area of litigation and regulatory and focuses on the resolution of complex, cross-border and high value commercial disputes.
Sam has a breadth of experience in High Court litigation, International Arbitration, and various methods of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and adjudication. Sam undertook a six-month secondment to the Litigation, Arbitration, and Investigations group in Dubai in 2017, and worked on several high-profile construction, engineering, and manufacturing arbitration mandates.
Sam practices across a broad range of industries. He acts predominantly for IT, technology, and telecommunications companies, construction and infrastructure firms, and manufacturers in heavy industry. Sam has gained a wealth of experience working on cross-border mandates, acting for clients in the UK, the USA, China, the United Arab Emirates, and the Netherlands.
- Acting for an S&P 500 manufacturer on a number of high-profile product liability, contractual and personal injury contribution claims, and representing them in criminal and regulatory investigations, and before a Public Inquiry. Preparing for civil claims arising out of a number of developments around the world and defending several group actions concerning alleged negligence.
- Advising a heavy industrials company on a contractual dispute following the conditional sale of an advanced metal forming subsidiary. Commencing proceedings in a claim for specific performance against the buyer for circa USD12 million, and defending a circa USD3 million counterclaim by the buyer for rescission of the share purchase agreement and associated losses on the basis of alleged fraudulent misrepresentations made by the client.
- Advising the sellers of a chemical plating and industrials company in defending GBP5 million Commercial Court proceedings brought by the buyer under a sale and purchase agreement relating to alleged breaches of warranty and indemnity claims. Commencing proceedings against the buyer relating to several breaches of a Shareholders' Agreement and an Intercreditor Deed.
- Advising an international satellite and telecommunications company on providing a global litigation managed service in relation to a series of contractual disputes with companies based in the Middle East, Asia, Africa and North America. Dealing with claims for liquidated damages and defending allegations made by defendants that certain clauses of the client's terms and conditions constituted unenforceable penalty clauses. Defending counterclaims relating to alleged negligent and fraudulent misrepresentations, and commencing local enforcement proceedings in several jurisdictions.
- Advising a high-net worth individual on defending a claim for damages of over USD10 million arising from cyber-attacks allegedly carried out between October 2015 and February 2017 on the systems of a Middle-Eastern telecommunications company.
- Acting for a North American telecommunications provider, in relation to its claims in negligence against the owners, operators and insurers of several cargo vessels which caused significant damage to the client's fibre-optic sub-sea cable network in UK territorial waters. Preparing pre-action correspondence in respect of the losses occasioned by the vessels' negligent conduct in dropping anchor in the vicinity of the client's sub-sea cable network.
- Advising a Government Authority on the implementation of, and potential breaches relating to, an IT Framework Agreement and associated Payment Addendums. Advising the client on the dispute resolution, jurisdiction, governing law and dispute resolution provisions of several agreements.
- Advising Norwegian technology and IT client on obtaining a commercial settlement in mediation in relation to a dispute over the implementation of, and delays to, an IT software project.
- Assisting a construction and engineering company in defending AED300 million arbitral proceedings (governed by the DIFC-LCIA Rules) involving claims for liquidated damages, variations, time extensions, and acceleration costs, arising from a university project in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising a construction client on an adjudication brought by a sub-contractor concerning delays in the installation of gravity base foundations on an off-shore wind farm project.
- University of Leeds LLB Law (First Class)
- University of Sheffield Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
- Sidney Herbert Clay Trust Prize Winner
- 2018 - Present, University of Sheffield - Member of the School of Law Advisory Board
- 2018 - Present, Trustee to the Board of the Boys and Girls Club of South Yorkshire
- 2017 - present, Associate, DLA Piper UK LLP, Sheffield
- 2015 - 2017, Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper UK LLP, Sheffield
My latest insights
High Court grants the first Bankers Trust Order against overseas cryptocurrency exchanges...
5 January 2023 .12 minute read
English High Court awards nominal damages for distress arising from a personal data breach...
3 November 2022 .7 minute read