David T. NeaveCounsel
David Neave has extensive experience in defending class proceedings and has acted in more than 40 class actions brought in a wide range of areas including data breach, competition/restraint of trade, products liability, securities and banking.
David’s defence work includes defending class action and individual claims against an international postal/package service in respect to an alleged data breach of customer data; international pharmaceutical manufacturers of a number of different prescription and OTC drugs; a recently filed class proceeding seeking health care costs recovery related to the opioid crisis; medical products manufacturers of a variety of devices (hip and knee replacement systems, spinal screws, pacemakers, emergency call systems, introducer systems); international food manufacturers; international airlines (cargo and passenger fees); international electronic manufacturers of various computer chips and other components; various financial institutions pertaining to interest and credit card charges; international heavy equipment manufacturers of forestry and marine equipment; and, manufacturers of a variety of auto parts. He has also represented securities brokerages and an international accounting firm on securities act matters.
David regularly appears before all levels of British Columbia courts and various regulatory tribunals.
Before joining the firm, David enjoyed a 20-year career with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). As part of its commercial crime section for 11 years, he conducted stock market manipulation investigations, and a variety of complex fraud and theft investigations. Just before leaving the RCMP, he acted as in-house counsel to the senior management of the RCMP in British Columbia.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1992
- B.Sc., Trent University, 1974
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Class Action Litigation), 2010–2023; (Corporate and Commercial Litigation), 2014–2023
- Chambers Canada (Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence)), 2016-2023; (Litigation: Products Liability), 2017-2023; (Litigation: General Commercial), 2020-2022
- Chambers Global (Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence), 2014–2017
- Legal 500 Canada (Dispute Resolution), 2017-2023; (Competition and Antitrust), 2019-2023; (Transport: Aviation), 2021-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Class Actions), 2015-2016, 2019-2020; (Competition Law), 2015-2021, 2023
- LMG Life Sciences Directory, Life Sciences Star in Canada, 2019
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Life Sciences), 2013–2017, 2021; (Product Liability Defence), 2013, 2016, 2021
- Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences (Product Liability), 2018, 2022
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation (Class Action, Competition, Product Liability and Securities), 2014-2019; (White Collar Crime), 2016-2019
- Speaker, "Fuel Surcharge Class Action", CBABC Air & Space Law Section Meeting, November, 2015.
- Panelist, "Recent Developments in Consumer Class Actions: The End of Waiver of Tort in Consumer Class Action Cases?", Class Actions Forum West, The Canadian Institute, May, 2015.
- Presenter, "Class Actions in Canada - a Primer", DLA Piper (Canada) LLP, June, 2015.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Class Action, Civil Litigation and Products Liability Subsections, Canadian Bar Association