Nancy Shane RappaportPartner
Nancy Rappaport serves as Chair of the Philadelphia Litigation Practice, while also working out of the Wilmington, Delaware office.
Nancy is a national trial lawyer involved in a variety of matters focusing on product liability litigation, including the defense of multinational manufacturers in catastrophic injury cases arising from the use of such products as consumer and commercial outdoor power equipment, construction equipment, farming equipment, heavy commercial machinery, building construction materials, automobiles and automotive component parts, among others. She acts as national counsel for various outdoor power equipment manufacturers, managing all stages of litigation, and acting as lead trial and appellate counsel in state and federal courts throughout the country. Nancy's practice also includes national, regional and local representation of various U.S. Government defense contractors, among other manufacturers, in toxic tort litigation, as well as representation of national and multinational corporations in complex commercial disputes in Delaware state and federal courts.
Manufacturers also seek Nancy's guidance in the preparation of manuals, warranties, labels and marketing materials for new products, including heavy commercial machinery, outdoor power equipment, kitchen appliances, glassware and baby products. Her practice also includes counselling clients and speaking at industry meetings regarding litigation prevention, discovery and trial strategies.
Nancy has been an instructor at firm-wide litigation associates training events on discovery and trial techniques since 2008, served as a national delegate and task force committee member during creation of the firm's women's initiative – Leadership Alliance for Women ("LAW") -- in 2006, served as local chair for LAW from 2015-2017, and chaired the Philadelphia office's summer associate program from 2002 – 2006. She also lectures regularly at Villanova School of Law on litigation, negotiation, mentoring, networking and interviewing skills.
Legal 500 United States has repeatedly recognized Nancy, noting that she "is an excellent attorney, trial lawyer and brief writer," "a fierce advocate," and "the best outside counsel you could find."
Nancy serves as national counsel to various multinational companies in litigation arising in the United States, handling all matters from inception through trial and appeal in matters involving catastrophic injuries arising from the use of products, as well as commercial disputes. Her experience includes the following:
- Obtained dismissal for forum non conveniens on behalf of leading provider of innovative architectural products in wrongful death and products liability mass action brought by 247 plaintiffs and their estates in Philadelphia state court (successfully removed to federal court) seeking damages arising out of the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire in London. KRISTEN BEHRENS et al. v. ARCONIC INC., et al., United States District Court for the District of Pennsylvania, C.A. 2:19-cv-02664, Baylson, J. (September 16, 2020) (granting dismissal).
- KRISTEN BEHRENS et al. v. ARCONIC INC., et al., United States District Court for the District of Pennsylvania, C.A. 2:19-cv-02664, Baylson, J. (September 16, 2020) (granting dismissal).
- Tried to defense verdict, and argued/successfully defended through appeal, catastrophic injury case for world's largest farm machine manufacturer in Michigan state court.
- Tried to defense verdict, and argued/successfully defended through appeal, catastrophic injury case for world's largest farm machine manufacturer in Michigan state court. NICOLE ANN JANOWSKI, as Next Friend of ISABELLA CASE, Plaintiff-Appellant, v. DEERE & COMPANY, Defendant-Appellee, and STARR CALLAHAN, Defendant, Court of Appeals of Michigan (July 11, 2019), sustaining defense verdict rendered in the Circuit Court of Genesee County, C.A. No. 14-103771-NI (verdict August 30, 2017).
- Tried to defense verdict catastrophic injury cases for multinational manufacturers of consumer and commercial mowing equipment in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- Tried to defense verdict premises liability case in Delaware state court.
- Representation as national trial counsel for catastrophic injury cases for largest manufacturers of consumer and commercial mowing, cutting and trimming equipment, including all aspects of litigation, trial and appeal.
- Representation as national trial counsel for global defense and technology company, including all aspects of litigation and trial in toxic tort matters.
- Representation as national trial counsel for national military vehicle manufacturer, including all aspects of litigation and trial, in toxic tort matters.
- Successfully briefed and argued manufacturers' dismissal on summary judgment in catastrophic injury cases before various federal trial and appellate courts throughout the country, including: the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; the District of Utah, the District of Maryland, the Western District of Oklahoma, and the District of Delaware.
- Successfully defended various clients in product liability and commercial matters at arbitrations in Pennsylvania and Delaware.
- Obtained dismissals on behalf of global defense and technology company and on behalf of military vehicle manufacturer in toxic tort matters throughout the country.
- Prepared manuals, warranties and on-product labeling for manufacturers of various consumer and commercial products including kitchen and household appliances; baby products; outdoor power equipment and construction equipment.
- Provided counsel on preparation of marketing materials for safe use of outdoor power equipment on behalf of several outdoor power equipment manufacturers.
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law 1995
Villanova Law Review
- B.A., Political Science, University of Delaware 1992
- In 2021, the respected research firm Legal 500 US recognized Nancy as "an excellent attorney, trial lawyer and brief writer. She’s also a fierce advocate" and noted that she provides "consistently good work." Legal 500 US Rankings also mentioned Nancy in 2016 for her work in toxic tort matters, praised her in 2010 as “the best outside counsel you could find,” and cited her as a recommended lawyer in 2009
- In 2020, the Legal Intelligencer named Nancy on its list of Best Law Firm Mentors
- Nancy was named a Pennsylvania Rising Star in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010. Rising Stars are chosen in polling among the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, from attorneys who are either under age 40 or who have been practicing law fewer than 10 years
- Co-Author, "Chapter 8: Recent Developments in Asbestos, Talc, Silica, Tobacco, and E-Cigarette/Vaping Litigation the U.S. and Canada," Practising Law Institute’s treatise on Product Liability Litigation – Current Law, Strategies and Best Practices, Second Edition (2021)
Nancy frequently lectures on civil litigation practice, negotiation practice, defense strategies, product liability matters and mentoring at client in-house seminars, industry meetings, and firm-wide associate training events.
- Driving Diversity in Law & Leadership [Virtual Summit]: Philadelphia, Panel Presentation "Sponsorship, Mentorship & Creating a More Inclusive Culture in the Workplace," December 2, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "Expert, Inspection and Investigation in a Products Case," 2020 PBI Personal Injury Law Conference, September 10, 2020
- PDLG (Philadelphia Diversity Law Group) Panel Presentation, "A View from Male Attorney Mentors and Women and Diverse Mentees," November 16, 2018
- Biannual guest lecturer on Negotiations, Litigation Practice, Networking and Interviewing techniques at Villanova School of Law since 2017
- Co-Presenter, "Litigation Trends, Product Liability," The Legal Intelligencer In-House Counsel Seminar, March 30, 2011
- "Grenfell Tower Fire Case Moves From Pa. To UK," Law 360, September 16, 2020
- “Appeals Court Upholds Lawn Mower Accident Ruling,” LegalNews.com, Macomb County Legal News, Detroit Legal News Publishing LLC, September 24, 2019
- "Want to Advance Diverse Lawyers? Then Share the Credit," The Legal Intelligencer, November 16, 2018
- "Passion for Practice," Villanova Law, 2016.
Civic and Charitable
Villanova School of Law Alumni Association, Board of Advisors
Memberships And Affiliations
- PLAC (formerly "Product Liability Advisory Council")
- Defense Research Institute
- Delaware Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association