Mariana RicardoSenior Associate
Mariana Ricardo is a Life Sciences and Regulatory lawyer whose practice covers regulatory issues in healthcare, notably in pharmaceuticals, medical devices, cannabis, and other health-related products.
Mariana helps clients of the life sciences sector navigate their day-to-day operations in this heavy regulated sector, advising on pricing and market access, clinical trials, promotion and advertising, as well as industry-specific compliance rules. She also advises private companies in a wide range of sectors, including construction, infrastructure and energy.
- Advises an industry leader pharmaceutical company on day-to-day operations, notably on pricing, reimbursement and market access, public procurement, interactions with HCP, promotional materials and campaigns, and transparency obligations.
- Advised an industry leader pharmaceutical company on orphan medicines, notably strategizing on claw back in medicines with different therapeutic indications that benefit from different market exclusivity terms.
- Successfully represented a US headquartered medical and pharmaceutical waste management company in two pre-contract litigation proceedings that led to favourable rulings which annulled two public tender procedures valued EUR 18,000,000 and EUR 17,000,000.
- Advised a Portuguese scientific research institute in the contractual relationship established with the Portuguese State and other partners to expand the testing capacity to Covid-19 in Portugal.
- Represents a life sciences company in an administrative civil liability proceeding in respect of adverse events and product liability claims associated with a medical device placed in the Portuguese market.
- Leads the team advising a developer on all aspects related to the construction of a project in the Hospitality and Tourism sector in Portugal, from defining the guarantee structure of the construction contract to negotiating and drafting all construction contracts and the provision of consultant services (planners, designers), in addition to the daily management of issues related to the execution of the contract, in conjunction with the project manager.
- Advised the developer in negotiating and drafting the Open Book contract for the construction of a new production unit in Portugal.
- Advised a German company that develops public charging solutions for automotive OEMs and fleet operators in the licensing procedures with national regulators to be licensed to operate as a charge point operator and to register as seller of electricity for electric mobility.
- Advised a European fund on the assessment of the legal framework applicable to intermunicipal communities in respect of a forfaiting agreement for the financing of a street lighting management contract.
- Advised a Portuguese company that designs, develops, finances, and operates solar power plants for medium and large electricity consumers in Portugal in small production projects with municipalities.
- Lisbon University School of Law, Post-Graduate Degree in Health and Medicines Law and Economics, 2021
- Universidade Católica Portuguesa – Faculty of Law, Postgraduate Degree in Energy Law, 2019
- Lisbon University School of Law, Postgraduate Degree in Urban Planning and Environmental Law, 2006
Lisbon University School of Law, Law Degree, 2003
- Recommended by Legal 500 in Public Law
- Portugal: New Medicine Shortage Prevention Measures, European Pharmaceutical Law Review, volume 4, Number 1 (2020)
- Resilience of Critical Infrastructures: The Portuguese Government Protection of Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Industries Falls Short, European Pharmaceutical Law Review, volume 5, Number 4 (2021)
- 2017-present, Senior Associate, DLA Piper ABBC (previously ABBC)
- 2015-17 - Legal counsel, MSF Engenharia, S.A. - Branch in Qatar and MSF Engenharia, S.A. (Oman Branch)
- 2012-15 - In-house Lawyer, MSF SGPS, S.A.
- 2009-12 - Legal advisor to the Board, Agência para a Modernização Administrativa, I.P.
- 2003-09 - Trainee / Associate, Lisbon based Law Firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Lawyer admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association
- Volunteer for Re-Food 4 Good, a Private Institution of Social Solidarity that aims to eliminate food wastage and hunger, involving the whole community in a common cause