David Thompson advises on the tax aspects of acquisitions and disposals, mergers, demergers, group reorganisations and reconstructions. He also has extensive knowledge of management buyout and buy-in transactions and other private equity transactions and on tax aspects of commercial agreements, joint ventures, flotations, international transactions, property and private finance initiatives.
David also advises public companies, international corporations, owner-managed businesses, public sector bodies, educational institutions, charities, private sector bidders, developers, property investors and joint venture consortia.
David's experience includes stamp duty and VAT planning and he has contributed articles on VAT matters to tax publications. David has acted on VAT litigation at European Court level.
- Acting for a British mid-market private equity house in relation to buy and build and subsequent sale of Pure Cottages Group.
- Acting for Tangerine Confectionery in relation to on GBP100 million buyout by Valeo.
- Acting for Bonhams in relation to the acquisition by Epiris.
- Advising YM&U Group on acquisition by Trilantic.
- Advising Oakley Capital – Casa.it on acquisition of Italian/Luxembourg online estate agent.
- Acting for Arlington Capital Partners – tax advice in relation to the acquisition of Blaenavon forgings business of Doncaster Group.
- Acting for Aptitude Software Group plc in relation to sale of Mircrogen Financial Systems for GBP51 million and subsequent return of capital to shareholders.
- Assisting Unilever in acquisition of Graze.
- Advising TalkTalk Telecommunications plc on disposal of FibreNation to CityFibre for GBP200 million.
- Advising Fragrance Oils (International) Limited on a complex acquisition by Givaudan.
- Oxford University, BA in Modern history
- Trent Polytechnic, CPE and LSF in Law