Personal information is an increasingly valuable – and increasingly risky – business asset. As businesses struggle to keep up with the critical, fast-changing data protection laws and face an increasing risk of serious data breaches, DLA Piper is uniquely positioned to help guide clients.
With data protection lawyers around the globe, DLA Piper provides highly sophisticated data management, data security and privacy law advice wherever our clients do business. Our global presence combined with our depth of experience in each region gives clients the important advantage of local knowledge and cultural awareness, combined with consistent, practical advice.
Our team members are very involved in their local compliance culture and have close contacts with local regulators in Asia, Europe, the US. The group has played a major role at the forefront of the development of privacy, data security breach and data security laws around the world. Our data protection team has successfully worked together in recent years to assist more than 100 multinational organizations in the design and implementation of global privacy and security programs including carrying out audit and risk assessments, developing global policies, implementing effective international data transfer strategies, negotiating cloud and other complex international data transfer agreements, and defending dozens of regulator and plaintiff’s class action bar enforcement actions.
Core areas include:
- Audits and data mapping
- Compliance programs and policies
- Data subject access and opposition rights
- Data security, data loss prevention and data breaches
- Online and mobile tracking and consumer protection regulation
- E-discovery and investigations management
- Global data transfer management (transfer agreements, BCRs, etc.)
- Incident Response Planning and Execution
- Lobbying and government liaison
- Supervisory authority relations (notifications, authorizations, DPO appointments)
- Whistle-blowing hotlines, employee monitoring and suspect persons screening