Sydney A. KertPartner
Sydney Kert's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions in a broad range of industries, including technology, cannabis, cleantech, financial services, healthcare and telecommunications.
Sydney represents a wide variety of public and private companies as well as investment dealers in connection with various securities, corporate and commercial matters. Sydney has extensive experience advising on complex domestic and cross-border transactions, including business combination transactions, go-public transactions, M&A transactions, take-over bids and corporate reorganizations. As part of her corporate finance practice, Sydney assists start-up clients as well as established companies in connection with private placements, public offerings and secondary offerings.
Sydney is also a trusted advisor to many clients on matters related their day-to-day securities compliance, continuous disclosure and corporate governance matters.
- Represented a syndicate of underwriters, co-led by PI Financial Corp. and CIBC Capital Markets, in connection with Paycore Minerals Inc.’s (TSX: CORE) $18.4 million bought deal public offering.
- Represented Quipt Home Medical Corp. (NASDAQ:QIPT; TSXV:QIPT) in connection with its US$80 million acquisition of Great Elm Healthcare, LLC, a division of Great Elm Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:GEG).
- Represented Ascend Wellness Holdings (CSE: AAWH.U) in its US$92 million cross-border initial public offering.
- Represented a syndicate of underwriters co-led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. and ATB Capital Markets Inc. in the $149.5 million bought deal public offering of common shares of Columbia Care Inc. (NEO: CCHW) (CSE: CCHW) (OTCQX: CCHWF) (FSE: 3LP).
- Represented Protech Home Medical Corp. (TSXV:PTQ) in connection with its $31.8 million short form prospectus bought deal offering and concurrent private placement of units.
- Advised Canadian independent bandwidth infrastructure provider Beanfield Technologies in its acquisition by Digital Colony Capital, Inc.
- Represented Acreage Holdings, Inc. (CSE: ACRG.U) in its USD$3.4 billion arrangement with Canopy Growth.
- Represented High Street Capital Partners, LLC in connection with its USD$314.2 million subscription receipt financing, reverse take-over of Applied Inventions Management Corp. and the listing of the resulting issuer, Acreage Holdings, Inc. (CSE: ACRG.U), on the Canadian Securities Exchange.
- Represented a syndicate of agents, co-led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. and GMP Securities L.P. in connection with Maricann Group Inc.'s $37.4 million special warrant offering.
- Represented a syndicate of dealers co-led by Cormark Securities and Canaccord Genuity in connection with Growforce Holdings' $38 million subscription receipt offering.
- Represented Sarment Holding Limited (TSX-V:SAIS) in connection with its $19 million initial public offering and TSX Venture Exchange listing.
- Represented Newstrike Brands Ltd. (TSXV:HIP) in connection with its $45 million bought deal offering of units.
- Representing a syndicate of underwriters, led by Canaccord Genuity Corp., in connection with Aurora Cannabis Inc.’s (TSX: ACB) $230 million bought deal offering of convertible debentures.
- Represented KES 7 Capital Inc. in connection with a US$20 million financing for MJar Holdings, LLC.
- Represented Canaccord Genuity Corp. in connection with Aurora Cannabis Inc.’s (TSX: ACB) $115 million special warrant offering.
- Represented a syndicate of underwriters, led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. and including GMP Securities L.P., PI Financial Corp., Eight Capital, Industrial Alliance Securities Inc., Beacon Securities and Mackie Research Capital Corporation, in connection with Aurora Cannabis Inc.’s (TSX: ACB) $75 million bought deal and concurrent private placement.
- Represented a syndicate of agents, led by Canaccord Genuity Corp. and including Industrial Alliance Securities Inc., Mackie Research Capital Corp. and Sprott Capital Partners, in connection with Maricann Group Inc. (CSE: MARI) $31 million secured convertible debenture offering.
- J.D., Queen’s University, 2011
- B.Sc. (Marine Biology and Psychology), Dalhousie University, 2007
- Canadian Securities Course, 2012
- David Sabbath Prize in Corporate Finance - Queen’s University, Faculty of Law (2011)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada partners with leading Canadian startup incubator DMZ in program for women...
6 October 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises on leading mining royalty combination between Metalla Royalty &...
12 September 2023 .2 minute read