Laura ShinglerLegal Director
Laura Shingler has experience in disputes and investigations, with a particular focus on sanctions, anti-bribery and corruption (ABC), anti-money laundering (AML) and corporate crime.
She acts for leading corporate and financial institutions advising them on a range of regulatory and compliance issues and assisting them with the implementation of robust compliance programmes. Laura is recommended as an “Associate to Watch” for UAE Corporate Investigations in Chambers Global 2018-2021, and Legal 500 as a “Rising Star” for Compliance and Investigations, and Financial Services Regulation.
She has undertaken 10 month secondments to the sanctions compliance team at SCB in the UAE and the sanctions, AML and ABC team at Citibank in London. Laura regularly provides training to corporate and financial institutions throughout the UAE on sanctions, AML and ABC and publishes briefings and updates for clients in respect of changes to the international sanctions regimes.
- Advising in relation to an investigation relating to whistleblowing allegations of bribery and corruption, tax evasion, breaches of sanctions and export control regulations and theft against a Joint Venture in KSA. The investigation involved co-ordinating lawyers based in the UAE, France, the UK, Switzerland and KSA to advise on local law issues, reviewing significant quantities of documentation, interviewing witnesses in English and Arabic (with translators), and presenting a detailed report for the shareholders
- Investigating allegations of fraud, corruption, embezzlement, manipulation of donor funds, harassment, discrimination and favoritism of certain refugees by a Japanese NGO in Jordan. The case involved working with teams of lawyers based in Jordan and the UAE and working with the client’s lawyers in Japan, reviewing significant quantities of documentation, interviewing witnesses in English, Arabic and Japanese (as appropriate) regarding highly sensitive matters, and drafting a detailed report for the NGO. The investigation also included a complex e-disclosure project undertaken by EY and Control Risks
- Investigating allegations of alleged misconduct by the Regional General Manager at a leading human resource organization based in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, including allegations related to breach of confidentiality, theft of intellectual property, fraud, misuse of Company resources for personal benefit, and the initiation of a competing business. The investigation arose out of Article 80 Saudi labour law proceedings and involved a significant e-disclosure review using document review platforms as well as and working with Bahraini lawyers to advise on strategy
- Advising in relation to an investigation relating to fraudulent and dishonest conduct by a Dewatering team at a leading international water solutions company in the UAE. The investigation involved reviewing significant quantities of documents, conducting interviews with the Dewatering team and drafting a detailed report for the client
- Advising in relation to a Level 3 investigation into alleged non-compliance with sanctions laws and regulations by a UK insurance payment processing firm, including providing strategic guidance on sanctions hits and breaches and drafting disclosures to the regulator and enforcement agencies
- Acting on behalf of Barclays Bank plc in relation to a FCA mandated review concerning the alleged mis-selling of derivative products to small and medium sized businesses. The review was subject to strict politically driven timescales and extremely high levels of scrutiny from Barclays, Skilled Persons on behalf of the FCA, the media, MPs and customer pressure groups. I was one of ten team leaders on the project responsible for managing and supervising a team of seven fee earners and acting as a principal point of contact with senior stakeholders within Barclays and its internal communications team. Our team was awarded runner up in the Regulatory Team of the Year category at the Lawyer Awards in 2014
- Acting on behalf of a large international bank in relation to a rogue trader investigation
- Advising leading multinational corporations on multi-jurisdictional projects relating to international sanctions and ABC laws and regulations including global sanctions obligations across 26 jurisdictions
- Advising a leading financial services authority in the Middle East on the audit and implementation of a robust internal compliance programme in accordance with local law and international best practice
- Advising a Chinese port authority on the US and EU sanctions risks associated with transshipment of restricted goods from Iran to China through the UAE
- The College of Law, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2006
- University of Leeds, Law, LLB Hons, 2003
- Laura has been ranked as an “Associate to Watch” in UAE Corporate Investigations by Chambers Global 2018-2021 and is described by peers as an “expert in the field.”
- Laura has been ranked as a “Rising Star” for Compliance and Investigations, and Financial Services Regulation, in Legal 500
- "The fight against financial crime", the Oath Magazine, May 2019
- "How to deal with multiple regulators in multiple jurisdictions", Journal of Financial Compliance, March 2019
- "Global Sanctions Trends 2018", the Oath Magazine, May 2018
- "Global Sanctions Guide", March 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales