Brett D. SolbergPartner
Brett Solberg focuses his practice on complex commercial disputes with a particular emphasis on energy, insurance, and maritime matters.
Brett represents major chemical manufacturers and energy-sector companies in all segments of the oil and gas lifecycle. He has also represented solar and wind producers and related services companies in a variety of commercial disputes.
Brett represents insurers in coverage matters across the country, including as the national coordinator for COVID-19 appeals for one of the world's largest insurers.
Brett also maintains an active maritime practice with matters in the US and abroad.
Energy, Chemicals, and Natural Resources
- Won judgment in a commercial dispute for a major chemical manufacturer following trial in federal court in Houston
- Won US$31+ million arbitration award from the AAA for a subsidiary of an NYSE-listed midstream company against a refinery owner in a contract dispute. The award came on the heels of a related success in securing a temporary injunction from a Harris County district court that included an order for the opponent to deposit millions of dollars into the court's registry.
- Won a unanimous jury verdict on behalf of a processor of oil country tubular goods on breach of contract and real property claims against inspection and threading services company. The jury also found 100 percent in the client's favor on the opposition's US$42 million counterclaims.
- Won a multi-million dollar award in the London Court of International Arbitration for a state-owned South-American energy company in a breach of contract matter. With counsel in Curacao, also successfully defended a related action seeking to remove the client's directors from a joint venture company
- Represented major chemical manufacturer at trial in breach-of-contract and tort claims related to vendor's provision of faulty equipment and failure to provide intellectual property
- Defended state-owned Latin American energy company against wrongful death and personal injury from an explosion at a gas processing facility involving more than 60 plaintiffs with advice on related insurance issues
- In conjunction with DLA offices in Amsterdam, Beijing, Singapore and Mexico City, advised a Mexican energy company in successfully resolving a bet-the-company situation resulting from the bankruptcy of the client's key supplier and the resulting inability to fulfill a key contract
- Represented state-owned Latin American energy company in its US$400 million claims, two successful appeals, and related matters in Spain against a Spanish manufacturer for a defective product that caused the failure of a freestanding hybrid riser system in the Gulf of Mexico
- Represented a state-owned Latin American energy company in US$300 million litigation in Federal Court in Texas seeking recovery for damages resulting from theft of hydrocarbons and related appeal. Obtained multi-million dollar judgments and settlements
- Defended a South American energy company in federal court in Texas in breach of contract and negligence claims brought by a competitor
- Represented Canadian oil and gas producer in dispute over terms of a purchase and sale agreement for oil and gas assets
- Represented US-based oil and gas producer in appeal from judgment in a well blow-out case
- Represented a FTSE-listed global environmental consulting firm in employment matters related to departure of key executives
- Represented private equity portfolio company in AAA arbitration arising from disputes over title to oil and gas assets
- Advised private-equity backed oil-field services firm on various issues related to joint venture disputes
- Acted as national appellate coordinator for all COVID-19 claims nationwide for one of the world's largest insurers
- Secured dismissal of multiple COVID-19 coverage lawsuits in Indiana, New Jersey, Louisiana, California, and Washington
- Successfully enforced insurance-policy forum-selection clause in Texas Court of Appeals
- Represented excess lines carriers in various coverage disputes
- Represented private equity firm in maritime claims related to foreclosure of oil tankers involving multiple ship seizures in Panama and the United States. Defeated ship seizures and won US$12+ million award from London Maritime Arbitration Association
- Represented private-equity-backed chemical manufacturer in maritime claims and insurance coverage issues
- Represented major US-based defense contractor in business-critical maritime matter stemming from ship arrest
Financial, Consultancy and Others
- Represented financial institution in a variety of matters, including breach-of-contract, tort, and BSA issues
- Advised a British security consultancy firm on litigation and appeal in a US federal court and in bankruptcy as a judgment creditor
- Successfully defended a global outdoor advertising company against tort claims and secured sanctions against the plaintiff
- Represented a US-based subsidiary of a Turkish manufacturer in a lawsuit to recover damages for stolen inventory
- Advised a US-based subsidiary of a Turkish manufacturer on potential litigation issues related to construction of major US-based manufacturing facility
- Represented top-ranked equestrian in commercial dispute arising from sale of premium show-jumper
- Represented Chinese manufacturer in large collections action in a US federal court
- Obtained dismissal on lack of personal jurisdiction in Texas for private equity fund manager whose funds invested in numerous properties in Texas and whose employees frequently travel to Texas
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of tortious interference suit against a private equity client and its portfolio member, a leading off-airport parking company
- Represented German luxury car manufacturer in Texas state clean-diesel litigation
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law
Associate Editor, Texas Law Review
- B.A., Economics, Rice University
- B.A., General Course, London School of Economics and Political Science
Brett was chosen as a Texas Rising Star in Business Litigation by Super Lawyers and Texas Monthly Magazine each year from 2016 to 2019.
Brett has recently represented, in a variety of venues and without charge, veterans seeking combat pay, a disability rights advocacy group seeking disclosure of information from the government, a young man abandoned by his parents seeking permanent residency in the US and a civil rights nonprofit in its efforts to investigate a serious data security breach by the State of Texas. Brett has served on the Houston Bar Association's homeless assistance committee and volunteered time to assist veterans and the general public in free legal clinics.
Before joining DLA Piper, Brett served as a law clerk to the Honorable J. Woodfin Jones at the Third Court of Appeals of Texas in Austin.
Before law school, Brett was a lead paralegal on an insurance docket for a large Houston-based law firm.