Helping power and utilities companies to transform and grow
Global demand for power generation and access is growing exponentially. The sector continues to undergo transformation and innovation. We advise in all aspects of power and utilities, across complex matters involving market volatility, cost pressures, increasing regulation, energy security, grid connectivity, integrating new power sources, and consumer expectations.
Power and transmission is a huge growth area, presenting vast commercial opportunities together with risks. 770 million people worldwide do not have access to electricity. Achieving full access by 2030 will mean connecting almost 100 million people every year in addition to significant investments on transmission lines.
We can support your business in all aspects of this complex sector, including the development, construction and financing of power projects, matters relating to transmission and distribution networks, interconnectors, wholesale and retail electricity, and regulatory frameworks and reform. We also advise all sides in transactions, financings and disputes.
“Combining a commercially-focused approach with sector specific insight, legal skills and local knowledge, we help you to address the many issues that are involved in any large-scale power scheme.”
Combining a commercially-focused approach with sector specific insight, legal skills and local knowledge, we help you to address the many issues that are involved in any large-scale power scheme. We are experienced in the project finance, corporate and regulatory matters required to go from conception to execution.
In transactions, we have extensive experience in guiding clients through the acquisition and sales of single site power plants and portfolios, as both seller and purchaser. In renewables, we provide commercially astute advice to purchasers, developers, equity investors, sellers, funders, offtakers and corporates.
We also have extensive grid and regulatory experience. As many power initiatives connect to the grid through a tertiary connection, our advice and guidance helps you to manage the risks.
Our global coverage means we have power and utilities teams based in the Americas, Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe and Middle East. We can help you to adopt new technologies, business models and capabilities wherever you are in the world.
Awards and recognition
- Advising National Grid Interconnectors on the treatment of financial and physical transmission rights under MiFID II and FSMA, as well as on network user compliance and KYC procedures under the EU Network Codes.
- Advising Brazilian power company Eneva S.A. in its acquisition of the 1.5 GW combined-cycle gas-fired Porto de Sergipe Power Plant in Brazil for an implied enterprise value of USD2.16 billion.
- Advising Greencoat Capital in the acquisition of a majority equity interest in the owner of two US wind farms from EDP Renewables. The portfolio includes the Bright Stalk and Harvest Ridge wind farms, both located in Illinois, which have a combined capacity of 405 MW.
- Advising an infrastructure fund on a 1.4 GW electrical interconnector linking UK and French power transmission systems.
- Advising SUSI Partners A.G. on the execution of a Framework Agreement with Biwo Renovables S.A. for the purchase, development, construction, operation and maintenance of a portfolio of power plants, including PV solar and wind power plants, for approximately 243.6 MW in total capacity in Chile.
- Advising Softbank Energy in the negotiation of a power purchase agreement with Maui Electric Company for a 40 MW solar photovoltaic energy project paired with a 160 MWh battery energy storage on Maui and the subsequent sale of the Kamaole Project.
- Advising BASF on the sale of 25.2% of the Hollandse Kust Zuid offshore windfarm in the Netherlands to Allianz. When fully operational in 2023, Hollandse Kust Zuid will be the largest subsidy-free offshore wind farm in the world. We had previously advised BASF on the acquisition of 49,5% of Vattenfall’s stake in the project, and the financing of the construction of the wind farm provided by a club of international lenders.
- Advising BP North America in the sale of a portfolio of operating wind projects in Texas, including structuring of auction and preparation of sales agreement and auction documents, preparation of disclosure schedules and assistance with matters related to PTC-qualification. Advising Coöperative Rabobank U.A., Landesbank Baden-Württemberg and Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale as the lenders to Highfield Solar Limited on the financing of two separate solar energy projects in Ireland with a total capacity of 282 MW.
- Advising a US manufacturer in the evaluation of options for on-site solar generation projects for self-supply at multiple locations.