Miguel Mendes PereiraHe/himPartner
Miguel Mendes Pereira has been practising competition law for 30 years, with a particular focus on defence in cartel matters, merger control and State aid matters, and implementation of antitrust compliance programmes.
His practice covers a wide range of industries, including food, pharmaceuticals, air transport, energy, financial services and media. He has a stellar track record before the EU’s top courts, and possesses longstanding experience in state aid matters and merger control.
He previously worked at the European Commission, the General Court of the EU and the Portuguese Competition Authority. Miguel was also a lecturer at the Law Faculty of the Lisbon University between 1992 and 2012.
- Represented a Member State and a Central Bank before the EU Court of Justice in a number of cases dealing with the Banking Recovery and Resolution Directive.
- Represented a Member State before the EU Court of Justice in a case dealing with the freedom of establishment and freedom to provide services in connection with the privatization of a flag carrier airline company.
- Advising a world leader in transport solutions in the private enforcement proceedings lodged by transport service providers asking for compensation for damages arising from the restrictive competition practices of a group of manufacturers (“truck cartel”) following an enforceable decision by the European Commission.
- Advising a Japanese motorcycle manufacturer in a full-scale compliance review in relation to its Portuguese operation.
- Advises for a number of years, on an ongoing basis, a leading international beverages producer in matters related to retail sales, distribution and pricing.
- Advises on a regular basis major international retail food chain in matters related to pricing, promotions, and franchising.
- Currently represents the Portuguese Association of Advertisers in antitrust proceedings initiated by the Portuguese Competition Authority (decision by an association of undertakings).
- Represented major German bank in antitrust proceedings initiated by the Portuguese Competition Authority (exchange of sensitive information).
- Currently represents major Portuguese beer producer in antitrust proceedings initiated by the Portuguese Competition Authority (hub & spoke).
- University of Lisbon, Faculty of Law, Master of Laws in European Law
- College of Europe (Bruges), LL.M, Master of Laws in European Legal Studies
- University of Lisbon, Faculty of Law LL.B, Bachelor of Laws
- Chambers Europe - Band 2 in Competition / European Law
- Legal 500 – Leading Individual in EU and Competition
- “Lei da Concorrência Anotada”, (Commentary to the Portuguese Competition Act), Almedina, 2009.
- 2011-2020, Partner, Prestigious Portuguese law firm
- 2008-2011, Partner, Portuguese law firm
- 2006-2008, Lead Legal Adviser at the Portuguese Competition Authority
- 2004-2006, Legal Secretary (référendaire) in the Chambers of Judge Martins Ribeiro, Court of First Instance of the European Communities, Luxembourg
- 2000-2004, Administrator at the Media Unit of DG Competition of the European Commission, Brussels
- 1997-2000, Head of Legal Affairs, Lusomundo and Warner Lusomundo Group, Lisbon
- 1992-1997, Associate Lawyer and Trainee Lawyer, Portuguese law firm
- Assistant Professor at the University of Lisbon Faculty of Law, 1992-2012
- Lecturer of EU Law and Competition Law at European Institute at the University of Lisbon Faculty of Law
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association
- Founding Member of Portuguese Circle of Competition Lawyers, CAPDC
- Member of IBA, International Bar Association