Elizabeth Wong is a Partner in the Intellectual Property & Technology team based in DLA Piper's Hong Kong office. Elizabeth is experienced in a broad range of intellectual property matters throughout the Asia Pacific region, with a particular focus on trade mark and copyright matters in Hong Kong and the PRC.
Elizabeth has extensive experience advising multinational clients on brand protection and portfolio management, anti-counterfeiting and enforcement of intellectual property rights, as well as licensing and commercialization of intellectual property in the Asia Pacific region. Elizabeth regularly advises clients on unfair competition and enforcement of trade marks, copyright, patents, trade dress, designs and domain name rights in Hong Kong and China. Elizabeth has also negotiated a wide range of intellectual property and technology-related commercial contracts, including IP license agreements, distribution agreements, franchising agreements, coexistence agreements, outsourcing agreements and data processing agreements.
With her substantial intellectual property and commercial experience, Elizabeth offers clients strategic advice on brand protection and IP enforcement, as well as IP aspects of cross-border transactions in the Asia Pacific region.
- Advised HSBC in trade mark infringement and unfair competition proceedings before the Hangzhou Intermediate Court and the Hangzhou Appeal Court in China, resulting in finding of well-known trade mark status for HSBC's Chinese language mark
- Advised a Canadian gaming and online gambling company on trade mark clearance and portfolio management, as well as licensing and enforcement of intellectual property rights in the Asia Pacific region
- Advised a luxury hotel chain on brand protection and brand enforcement in 20+ jurisdictions, including providing strategic advice on various registry proceedings and the global co-existence and settlement negotiations with a global French winemaker
- Advised a U.S. cosmetics brand on trade mark protection, clearance, enforcement and commercial exploitation of intellectual property rights in Hong Kong and China. Prosecuted an enforcement action in China, resulting in the seizure of more than 400 cases of counterfeit nail polish remover
- Advised a luxury eyewear retail chain on global brand portfolio management, as well as anti-counterfeiting, customs and advertising matters in the Asia Pacific region
- Advised the world's foremost authority in diamond grading and gemology in respect of the use, licensing and commercial exploitation of intellectual property assets in Hong Kong
- Advised a U.S. pharmaceutical company on brand expansion into China and the joint venture with a conglomerate in China
- Advised an Italian luxury group on brand protection, online advertising and endorsement in Hong Kong and China
- Advised a number of multinational companies on a wide range of technology and consultancy services procurement and outsourcing initiatives in Hong Kong and China
- Advised a global travel search site on various commercial and technology related contracts in Hong Kong and China, and provided legal support to their operations in the region
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
City University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, 2006
City University of Hong Kong, LL.B (Hons), 2005
Elizabeth's particular areas of expertise include advising clients on brand protection and trade mark enforcement matters, trade mark clearance, prosecution and portfolio management matters, as well as unfair competition and enforcement of copyright, patents, designs, trade dress and domain name rights. She has also negotiated a wide range of intellectual property and technology-related commercial contracts, including trade mark license agreements, distribution agreements, assignment agreements and coexistence agreements.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- INTA (The International Trade Mark Association)