Asia In-house Counsel Conference 2023Hong Kong
12 October 2023, 14:00 - 20:00
DLA Piper Hong Kong
25th Floor, Exchange Square Block 3
8 Connaught Place, Central
As sustainability pressures mount, we understand that in-house legal teams are required to play an ever more strategic role within organisations. The Asia In-house Counsel Conference has been created exclusively for In-house Counsel in Hong Kong. We will be sharing our insights, exploring emerging trends and discussing the latest challenges facing In-house Counsel.
Our afternoon seminar will be comprised of a variety of interactive panel sessions featuring expert speakers who will provide practical tips, knowledge and guidance to help you navigate an increasingly challenging regulatory environment. We will be discussing several topical issues such as the complexities of ESG implementation, and the legal implications of AI integration, to name just a few. The conference will also feature a fireside chat with a highly respected General Counsel, which promises to be a highlight of the afternoon – offering a unique opportunity to gain valuable insights from a seasoned professional in the field.
For more information please contact Emily Weir.
*More speakers to be announced soon
14:00 - Registration
14:30 - Welcome remarks
Susheela Rivers, Partner and Global Co-Chair, Real Estate Sector, Office Managing Partner, Hong Kong, Head of Real Estate, Asia Pacific, DLA Piper
14:45 - The rise of employee activism
With movements such as #MeToo, Black Lives Matter, the rise of the cancel culture and an increased global focus on ESG issues, workplaces have (willingly or otherwise) become a key focus ground for employee activism. Workers increasingly demand that employers take a stand on ESG issues, and coupled with the immediacy and reach of social media this has caused challenges for employers who can find themselves facing significant reputational issues. This session will cover topics including:
- How to tackle DEI issues and the fact such topics can be polarizing and trigger cultural sensitivities.
- How can you encourage internal airing of issues rather than an immediate social media posting.
- How has the changing nature of the workforce impacted on these issues.
- Crisis management and what employers can do to proactively manage reputational risk.
Moderator: Helen Colquhoun, Partner and Head of Employment, Asia at DLA Piper
- Delicia Tan, CEO of Edelman Hong Kong and Greater Bay Area
- Paul Choi - Founder and Principal Consultant at Twoplus
15:15 - Navigating the rising tide of sustainability & ESG
Sustainability & ESG is rapidly shifting up the agenda in the private sector. Businesses are coming under increasing pressure to consider planetary boundary and social issues from governments and regulators, their suppliers, their investors and their wider stakeholders. This panel discussion will feature expert speakers, providing the subject matter expert and in-house perspective, on the key trends that in-house counsel should be aware of in the sustainability transition.
Moderator: Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry, Managing Director for Sustainability & Resilience, DLA Piper
- Kelly Sporn, Special Counsel and International Head of Strategic Delivery for Sustainability & ESG, DLA Piper
- Susheela Rivers, Partner and Global Co-Chair, Real Estate Sector, Office Managing Partner, Hong Kong, Head of Real Estate, Asia Pacific, DLA Piper
- Olivia Wong - General Manager Environmental & Social Responsibility at MTR Corporation Limited
16:30 - AI: The robots are coming! Are you ready?
AI is everywhere. It dominates public discussion. Once exclusive to the tech industry, AI now underpins new business models, processes and solutions in nearly every sector, and its transformative potential feels limitless. However, AI-driven threats are real and concerns over responsible AI have risen sharply. Policymakers are rapidly formalizing AI rules to mitigate societal and technical risks. DLA Piper has recently released a global AI report which explores the balance between governance and value creation, and uncovers how organisations can use AI responsibly, safely and commercially.
During this panel session we will be discussing key findings from the report with our expert speakers. Key topics include:
- How businesses are currently implementing AI
- Key challenges and risks of AI
- AI governance
- How to stay ahead of the curve
- Derek Liu, Head of Legal for Greater China and Senior Managing Legal Counsel, APAC, Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- Devon Sharma, Senior Legal Counsel - Data Security and Privacy, AI, Bloomberg
- Lilian Chen, Managing Counsel, Greater China Region, McKinsey & Company
Moderator: Lauren Hurcombe, Partner and Global Co-Chair for Technology and Sourcing, DLA Piper
17:15 - Fireside chat
Satpal Gobindpuri, Regional Managing Partner, Asia will host a fireside chat with Derek Ng, General Counsel, Hong Kong, Deputy General Counsel, Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement, Asia Pacific, HSBC
18:00 - Closing remarks & Networking
20:00 - Event close