Ruby Chan practices in the firm’s Securities and Corporate Finance Group. Prior to joining the firm, she spent a summer working at the British Columbia Securities Commission. Born in Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, Ruby attended the University of British Columbia.
Ruby has considerable experience in prospectus financings and takeover bids, private equity transactions (including venture capital) and mergers and acquisitions, primarily in the resources and technology and life sciences sectors. Ruby’s practice also includes a significant component of general commercial, executive employment and banking work, as well as providing advice to clients on continuous disclosure and other corporate and securities regulatory matters.
- Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. in its US$1.4 billion construction decision to build the Côté Gold Project in Ontario with its joint venture partner, IAMGOLD Corporation.
- Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Corporation in the September 2018 acquisition of the Pogo Gold Mine in Alaska by Northern Star Resources for US$260 million.
- Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. in its June 2017 acquisition of an Ontario gold project, joint venture and establishment of strategic partnership with Toronto-based IAMGOLD Corporation, in which Sumitomo acquired a 30% undivided participating interest in IAMGOLD's ownership interest in the Côté Gold Project for US$195 million.
- Mining and securities law counsel to Western Potash Corp. (“WPX”) in connection with its completion of a preliminary economic assessment level scoping study for a Pilot Plant Scale Selective Solution Mining Operation on its 100% owned Milestone property in southern Saskatchewan, together with WPX’s subsequent filing of a technical report pursuant to National Instrument 43-101 - Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects.
- Legal transaction team for Western Potash in its $80 million private placement financing with Beijing Tairiu Innovation Capital Management regarding the pilot plant development of the Milestone Potash Project in Saskatchewan.
- Legal transaction team for Western Forest Products Inc. (“WFP”) in connection with approximately C$700 million of public market transactions, principally regarding the former WFP shareholdings by Brookfield Asset Management; most recent transaction was a C$230 million secondary bought deal offering completed in September 2014.
- Represented Far West Mining Ltd. in its C$725 million acquisition by Capstone Mining Corp. in 2011. Ruby was part of the legal transaction team that was recognized at the 2012 Lexpert Deal Awards for its part in this transaction, which had an aggregate value in excess of C$1 billion (including the C$300 million financing contributed by Korea Resources Corporation at closing of the merger transaction). The transaction was awarded Mining Deal of the Year.
- Corporate, mining and securities law counsel to a TSX/NYSE listed late stage development gold company, most recently in connection with the company’s C$30 million flow-through share bought deal private placement that closed in April 2015, as well as the C$12 million flow-through share and C$115 million short form prospectus offerings completed in July and March 2014, respectively.
- M&A legal transaction team for Gtech International Resources Limited in its Acquisition of Simavita Holdings Limited (Australian-based company).
- Represented a global alternative asset manager in a C$1.2 billion asset purchase transaction in the forestry sector.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2002
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Securities Law), 2017-2024; (Mining Law), 2022-2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Mid-Market), 2019, 2021-2023; (Mining), 2019-2023; (Corporate Finance Law), 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia and Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association and Vancouver Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper advised FPX Nickel on $16 million strategic equity investment from Outokumpu
31 May 2023 .1 minute read
DLA Piper Canada advised FPX Nickel on $12 million equity investment from strategic...
5 December 2022 .1 minute read