Correna L. JonesPartner
Correna Jones practices employment, labour, business immigration and privacy law.
Correna assists corporate clients with the full range of their employment law needs, including strategic advice on workplace issues, drafting employment agreements, workplace policies, restrictive covenants and non-disclosure agreements, assistance with human rights issues and investigations, disability management, drug and alcohol testing policies and practices, employment standards compliance, privacy compliance, including drafting policies and practices, and counsel to employers on employment issues during corporate transactions and restructurings.
Correna has advised employers on privacy compliance issues, anti-spam law compliance, information security breaches, privacy impact assessments and privacy training. She has represented clients before the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for Alberta and the federal Office of the Information Commissioner, as well on privacy related litigation matters before Trial and Appellate Courts in the Province of Alberta and the Federal Court of Canada.
Correna has also successfully represented unionized employers in the full spectrum of labour issues, from certification and first agreement collective bargaining to strikes, picketing issues, contract administration, grievance arbitration, unfair labour practice complaints and revocation applications.
In business immigration law, Correna provides advice and counsel on all categories of work permit applications, including those pursuant to international mobility programs and through labour market impact assessments. She also assists with permanent resident applications through provincial nominee programs, the Canadian experience class, the federal skilled worker program and family class sponsorship applications. She also provides advice and counsel regarding compliance audits and legal obligations of employers.
- Domestic corporations: providing external employment and business immigration advice on the full range of legal issues in these areas
- Multinational corporations: providing advice regarding compliance with Canadian laws and regulations in the areas of employment and business immigration law and assisting with the framework of employment and business immigration law policies, practices and documentation to enable the operation of the Canadian business
- Entrepreneurial organizations: assisting with employment and business immigration needs from inception, aligned with the dynamic and growing culture of the organization
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 2002
- M.B.A., University of Alberta, 2001
- B.A. (Hons.), University of Calgary, 1996
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2017 – Designated as a “Star” lawyer by a panel of over 3,000 global senior in-house counsel
- The Legal 500 Canada (Employment), 2022
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyer – independently rated lawyer, 2022
- Amendments to the Alberta lobbyists act – What you need to know, May 2018
- Canada – EU free trade agreement: CETA to provide Canadian companies with increased international mobility options, September 2017
- Professor of Labour Law, University of Calgary, Winter 2023
Memberships And Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Labour and Employment Law Subsection
- Immigration Law Subsection
My latest insights
Correna Jones and Michael Richards named Co-chairs of Canadian Employment group
28 February 2023 .3 minute read
DLA Piper Canada advises emerging companies across multiple sectors in their strategic...
6 July 2022 .33 minute read