P. John Landry K.C.Partner
Co-Chair, Canadian Litigation Group
John specializes in complex economic and trade related litigation with emphasis on the international trade, energy, and rail transportation practice areas.
He regularly appears before all levels of court and regulatory tribunals such as the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, NAFTA Chapter 11 and 19 Panels, British Columbia Utilities Commission, the Manitoba PUB, the Yukon Utilities Board, the Canada Energy Regulator, and the Canadian Transportation Agency.
In addition, John provides general and strategic advice to clients on energy related, trade and rail transportation matters including issues arising under North American electricity and rail transportation regulatory regimes, the Columbia River Treaty, CUSMA (formerly NAFTA), and the WTO.
- Regularly represents multi-national companies and large public and private regulated and non-regulated energy companies.
- Counsel for the Canadian Sugar Industry in a major trade dispute with the U.S. and E.U.
- Lead counsel in complex negotiations involving major project development for energy companies including the negotiation of innovative First Nations investment opportunities.
- Counsel for major rail transport shippers in matters before the Canadian Transportation Agency and in Final Offer and Service Level Agreement Arbitrations.
- Acts for a major electrical utility on all of its regulatory, corporate commercial and litigation matters relating to its electrical facilities including providing general, strategic and policy advice on electricity related matters in the Yukon.
- Acted for a leading oil producer, the largest industrial customer to be connected to the British Columbia transmission grid since the early 1990s, in a highly contested CPCN application of material significance to the Province of British Columbia.
- LL.B. (Honours), University of New Brunswick, 1980
- B.B.A., Economics (with Distinction), University of New Brunswick, 1975
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Energy Law), 2015-2024; (International Trade and Finance Law), 2006-2024
- Chambers Canada (Transportation: Rail & Road), Band 2, 2019-2024
- Listed as Acritas Star™ Lawyer 2020
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Canada (Energy and Natural Resources), 2014-2018, 2023; (General Commercial), 2016-2019, 2023
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada (International Trade and Finance Law: Vancouver), 2016
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (International Trade Regulation), 2010-2020; (Transportation: Rail & Road), 2016, 2022
- The Legal 500 Canada (Energy - Power), 2016 (Dispute Resolution), 2017-2024; (Transport: Other), 2018-2024
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished® Peer Review Rated
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Trade & Customs), 2019
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada increases rankings in 2023 Chambers Canada guide
29 September 2022 .4 minute read
DLA Piper Canada lawyers recognized in 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
4 March 2022 .59 minute read