Global Co-Chair, Mining
David Reid is a senior partner practising in the areas of securities law, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, mining law and related corporate transactions.
As a recognized leading Canadian lawyer in global mining and former board member of TSX and NYSE listed companies, David brings to the firm and to his role of Global Co-Chair of the Mining Sector, his extensive experience, practical approach and industry leading expertise in advising clients on numerous large and sophisticated national and international transactions.
David represents clients in relation to complex Canadian and international mining transactions of all types, including options, joint ventures, royalties, mine financing, reclamation and mine closures for properties in North and South America, Eastern Europe, Africa, China, Mongolia, Australia and Southeast Asia.
David's client base consists of major and junior mining and natural resource companies, leading private equity firms in the technology and resource sector, non-resource based companies, financial institutions, national and local underwriters, as well as public companies listed on stock exchanges in Canada, Europe, Australia and the United States.
- Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. in its US$1.4 billion construction decision to build the Côté Gold Project in Ontario with its joint venture partner, IAMGOLD Corporation.
- Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Corporation in the September 2018 acquisition of the Pogo Gold Mine in Alaska by Northern Star Resources for US$260 million.
- Represented Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. in its June 2017 acquisition of an Ontario gold project, joint venture and establishment of strategic partnership with Toronto-based IAMGOLD Corporation, in which Sumitomo acquired a 30% undivided participating interest in IAMGOLD's ownership interest in the Côté Gold Project for US$195 million.
- Represented TSXV listed Constantine Metal Resources in the negotiation and settlement of its formal corporate joint venture with Japan's Dowa Metals & Mining in relation to the Palmer Copper Zinc Project in Alaska, including Dowa’s $22 million acquisition of a 49% interest in the Project completed in December 2016 and the subsequent formation in June 2017 of a Delaware LLC to formally govern and document further exploration and development of the Project.
- Represented Far West Mining Ltd. (“Far West”) as lead counsel in its C$725 million acquisition by Capstone Mining Corp. David served as a director of Far West from 2004 and represented Far West from its inception in 1997 in connection with its mining and corporate finance matters. David and his legal transaction team were recognized at the 2012 Lexpert Deal Awards for their part in this transaction, which had an aggregate value in excess of C$1.1 billion (including the C$380 million financing contributed by Korea Resources Corporation at closing of the merger transaction). The transaction was awarded Mining Deal of the Year.
- Lead corporate, mining and securities law counsel to Rubicon Minerals Corporation, a TSX/NYSE listed late stage development gold company since its inception in 1996, most recently in connection with the company’s C$30 million flow-through share bought deal private placement that closed in April 2015, as well as the C$12 million flow-through share and C$115 million short form prospectus offerings completed in July and March 2014, respectively. Since 2009, David has led public market financing and offering transactions in excess of C$725 million for this company and also served on its Board from 2001 until 2014.
- Since December 2012, David has led the DLA Piper (Canada) LLP team in representing Western Forest Products Inc. (“WFP”) in connection with approximately C$700 million of public market transactions, principally regarding the former WFP shareholdings by Brookfield Asset Management; most recent transaction was a C$230 million secondary bought deal offering completed in September 2014.
- Lead mining and securities law counsel to Western Potash Corp. (“WPX”) in connection with its completion in 2015 of a preliminary economic assessment level scoping study for a Pilot Plant Scale Selective Solution Mining Operation on its 100% owned Milestone property in southern Saskatchewan, together with WPX’s subsequent filing of a technical report pursuant to National Instrument 43-101 - Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects.
- Represented Western Potash as lead counsel in its $80 million private placement financing with Beijing Tairui Innovation Capital Management completed in 2015 regarding the pilot plant development of the Milestone Potash Project in Saskatchewan.
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 1982
- B.A., (with Distinction), University of Victoria, 1979
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Mining Law), 2016-2023; (Natural Resources Law), 2010-2023; (Securities Law), 2014-2023
- Lexpert Special Edition,Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining,2015-2020
- The Legal 500 Canada (Energy - Mining), 2016-2019 (Corporate M&A), 2017
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Mining), 2015-2023
- Who's Who Legal - Mining, 2020
- Moderator, "Debate: Debt financing vs royalty streaming vs PE vs IPOs vs offtake vs crowdfunding – In the new mining investment landscape, what is the best option for mining companies to choose?", Mines and Money, London, November, 2015
- Quoted, "All rise: The almighty plan of arrangement and the magic of court approvals", National Post, September, 2015
Memberships And Affiliations
- Director of a number of junior mineral exploration companies
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia and Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association and Vancouver Bar Association
- Former Vice-Chairman of the Mining Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Branch
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada lawyers recognized in 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
4 March 2022 .59 minute read
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read