Ian W. Reynolds K.C., ICD.DPartner
Ian Reynolds provides legal services to family offices, private equity funds and private businesses and their owners. He practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, governance and corporate law.
Ian has been recognized as one of Canada's leading lawyers in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Corporate Lawyers in Canada, the Lexpert Special Edition - Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers and the Lexpert Special Edition - Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers in.
His professional experience is augmented by ongoing professional and leadership development. Ian has completed the Canadian Securities Course offered by the Canadian Securities Institute and the Directors Education Program jointly conducted by the Institute of Corporate Directors and the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto. He has received the Institute-certified Director qualification (ICD.D) from the Institute of Corporate Directors. He is also a member of the Association for Corporate Growth, the Canadian Venture Capital and Private Equity Association, the Mergers and Acquisitions Group, Business Financing Group and Corporate Governance Group of the American Bar Association.
Family Offices and Private Businesses
- Ian is a key advisor to ultra high net worth families and their companies, private family offices and enterprises, family-owned businesses and their owners and boards in matters related to corporate governance and succession planning, corporate structuring and corporate reorganizations in a variety of industries.
- Ian is also routinely involved with the strategic planning, risk management, multi-jurisdiction mergers, acquisitions and divestitures and diverse financing arrangements including equity, debt, mezzanine, subordinated debt and quasi-equity transactions of private family offices, enterprises and investment funds.
- Ian also has extensive experience with employee-owned (closely and widely held) private businesses and advises them on all strategic, corporate and governance matters.
Private M&A and Private Equity
- In his private M&A and private equity practice, Ian regularly advises leading private companies and private equity groups on domestic and cross-border M&A, divestitures, leveraged and management buyouts, take-over bids, going private transactions, restructuring, initial public offerings and other strategic investments and capital markets transactions.
- ICD.D, Institute of Corporate Directors, Directors Education Program, 2007
- LLB, University of Alberta, 1994
- BComm, University of Alberta, 1990, with distinction
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Commercial), 2015-2016, 2018-2019, 2023; (Corporate Mid-Market), 2015-2016, 2018-2019, 2023; (M&A), 2015-2016, 2018-2019, 2023
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2016 and 2017
- Lexpert Special Edition - Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, 2018
- Lexpert Special Edition - Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers, 2021
Over the past 20 years, Ian has offered his legal and business acumen to leadership roles in the public and private sectors. He is a past and present member of various non-profit and for-profit boards (fiduciary and advisory) and has provided advice to a number of causes and industries.
Ian is also a member of the Association for Corporate Growth, the Canadian Venture Capital and Private Equity Association, the Mergers and Acquisitions Group, Business Financing Group and Corporate Governance Group of the American Bar Association.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Institute of Corporate Directors